Crappy 4th for Sailfish. Please read if you guys can help.

johnnyboy

Reaction score
Happy 4th to all. Unfortunately my 4th kind of sucked. Here was my issue today.. Took out my '99 sail fish with twin 225 ox66. As we exited the marina, the engine kept stalling on the port side. I would try to turn the key to turn her on and the tachometer wouldnt even turn on as if the battery was dead even though all the batteries are inter-connected. As I would move on out with the starboard, the power would kick back on, I would start the engine, start moving as normal and in the middle of driving the engine would just cut out as would the tach. After that no luck at all, the engine wouldnt turn and no power at the tach.

Returning to the dock on 1 engine me and my pops looked at these possible issues:

1- battery swtich possibly bad- tested- worked fine, power to all lines

2- we took out the ignition box and noticed, jiggling the wires that she would turn on but same issue, she cut out again

Is it possible its the celanoid in the ignition?

Possible faulty wiring?

Our best guess, its the celanoid, anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks for all the help early on. :-|

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Re: Crappy 4th for Sailfish. Please read if you guys can hel

Loose connector; bad keyswitch? Swap the k/s plugs under the console, making the port switch operate the stbd engine, etc. Did the problem move to the other engine?

Curmudgeon

Reaction score

I'd bet for a connection problem and against a 'celenoid'. You probably found the origin of the problem when you jiggled the 'ignition box', the solenoid is on the starter and only engages during starting ...
:uhm

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

90 % of the time is a bad ground. Loosen the engine ground and clean both terminals (engine side and cable side), put some dielectric and try again.

grady23

Reaction score

I would start looking for a badly corroded connection (Ignition box you mentioned) as the culprit. This is definitely a loose or corroded wire. The "Solenoid", as stated is only in operation during starting. Good luck-- intermittent electrical problems are a real PIA.

johnnyboy

Reaction score

Hey all: Thanks alot for all the replies. It's great to have people helping other people, especially boaters.

Call the yards mechanic down and he found the problem. I didnt get a chance to see it in person but had a picture sent. Its this yamaha part on the actual engine causing all the issues.

Im posting the pic this way if any one runs into a similar problem, they check this out!!

BROKENPART.jpg