Cup holder covers???

Tinny

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hello - I recently purchased a new to me 282 Sailfish. The cup holder draining into bilge bugs me and I though an easy solution would be to find compatible covers that can just be snapped on when holders are not in use. Has anybody tried this and found an appropriate cover? Thanks in advance.

Mr.crab

Reaction score
Don’t know year of your boat, but I changed my cup holders to stainless connected hoses to drain overboard.

Tinny

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Don’t know year of your boat, but I changed my cup holders to stainless connected hoses to drain overboard.

It is a 2007 year boat. Stainless cups would be a nice upgrade for sure. How did you route the drains to go overboard? That would be the ideal solution but was thinking lids for the cups would be an acceptable fix for me.

Mr.crab

Reaction score
My boat has livewell in stern, hookup to the 1/2” overflow hose that drain in motor well. Also make anchor
locker, where it drains overboard. I also hate water in the bilge.

Tinny

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I wonder if something like this would work. Need to check the ID of the cup holder on the boat. When these fill up with water it would just overflow onto the deck instead of draining into the bilge.

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/sea-dog-3-recessed-drink-holder-2-deep-79240.html

I live in a pretty rainy area so they would always be full and then slowly overflow into the bilge unless caulked in place which would make it difficult to empty. Something with a lid would be much better.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Why not make your own using Starboard. Use 2 hole saws...One for the top piece to overlap the cupholder and another smaller one to fit into the cupholder for alignment and prevent it from sliding off. Put screws up through the smaller bottom piece into but not through the top piece.

If you have access to a lathe you could do it with one piece by routing out a groove in a single piece to correspond to the top edge of your cupholder.

The cupholders on my boat have a drain tube that is routed out onto the deck about 3 inches above the sole where it runs overboard through the scuppers.

JAdams1

Reaction score
Thinking the same thing. Thinking about making them out of white cutting boards.

Attachments

• cover idea.jpg
    cover idea.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 8

Tinny

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Making your own seems like an option - but the fit would have to be really snug to prevent them falling off in bumpy weather. Ideally they come off only when cup holder in use. Draining into deck area seems like an easy no more hassles fix. I think I may go that route.

seasick

Reaction score
I am not sure if you will be able to find the right size bur pipe plugs that are used to plug drain pipes so that they can be pressure tested might work. They have a kind of know that makes a rubber washer expand in a pipe. If they fit, they will be water tight.
I will see if I can dig up a link.

Fishtales

Reaction score
You can buy the SS ones that have a threaded cap at the bottom. The only issue is now water collects in the cups. Prob the best is to attach the drain to a fishbox overboard drain. All you need is a way for the water to get out. Not going to be much.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Reactions: Tinny

KingJ

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I dropped the right sized stainless screws into each of our 208’s cup holder drain-holes, and the screw heads fit and work great as plugs. No cover needed, and they do not interfere with cups in place. After a wash down for example, the cup holders are filled a little, but the bilge is dry. You have to dry out the cup holder, but that helps keep the cup holder clean as well.