cup holder drain hose

Lucky dog

Reaction score
I have a new to me 2002 283 release. I just ordered the stainless upholders to replace the plastic ones.
Some of the cupholders have drain hoses that are supposed to drain on to the deck. I am missing the piece that attaches to the bulkhead ( FORWARD FISH BOX) so the hoses dangle and drain to the bilge.
Does any one have a part # or a description of what this part is. I am assuming it is threaded with a hole in the center and a barb to attach the hose.
Thanks Joe

J-Sea

Reaction score
I installed after-market cup holders in my 257 Advance. Every cup holder has a different size "nipple" on the bottom of it for purposes of attaching the drainage hose. Once you know the size of your hose, you can purchase the piece you're speaking of in any marine store (West Marine, etc), which is essentially a plastic thru-hull fitting. I actually just installed a double cup holder on my 257 advance, ran dual tubes with a "Y" shaped piece so that it ultimately drains into one hose, then ran the hose down the inside of the center console. I drilled a 1 inch hole at the bottom of the center console a few inches above the height of the boat's decking and then installed the plastic "thru-hull" type fitting you're speaking of. It has threads on it, pushes into the Center Console from the outside, is fastened with a washer on the inside (part of the kit) and then the drainage hose is attached to it from the inside. Hope this helps. All you need to know is the size drainage hose you're working with.

REBThunderroad

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I installed the SS cup holders on my Marlin 300 and also added the hose drains to deck. They are called impact drains and I bought them from my Grady dealer for a couple bucks a piece. I installed ss hose clamps to hold the tubes on and 4200 the drain through the hole I drilled. Nice dry bilge now!

liinw8

Reaction score
I just got the ss cupholders from Prime and I'm ready to install them with new hoses and impact drains to the deck on my '99 Marlin. The hole cutout needs to be enlarged to fit the ss cupholders. Has anyone who's done this know what size hole saw to use or did you just use a dremel to widen the cupholder opening? Also for cutting the holes for the impact drains did you just use a large drill bit, and how far down did you install the impact drains? Thx

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
liinw8 said:
I just got the ss cupholders from Prime and I'm ready to install them with new hoses and impact drains to the deck on my '99 Marlin. The hole cutout needs to be enlarged to fit the ss cupholders. Has anyone who's done this know what size hole saw to use or did you just use a dremel to widen the cupholder opening? Also for cutting the holes for the impact drains did you just use a large drill bit, and how far down did you install the impact drains? Thx

You won't be able to use a hole saw with an existing hole unless you first install a backer plate (wood) into the hole so the drill bit has something to bite into. If you go this route, you'd have to measure the cupholder or look at the directions - there's no way for us to know what size cupholder you have. A dremel with a side-cutting bit (rotozip) will probably be the easiest. Tape around the hole to minimize gel chipping and go slow. It's the way I typically prefer to enlarge holes.

What's an impact drain?

liinw8

Reaction score
Thanks I'll just use the dremel and tape and proceed carefully. If you search for "impact drain" on the West Marine website it shows a picture. My prior boat, a Scout, used those to drain stuff to the deck (rod holders or cupholders - I can't remember which).

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
A drain that stays in place by friction. Easy enough.

Yes, just a regular drill bit should be fine. A spade bit or small hole saw is good, too. Again, tape it and go slow. Some like to run the drill bit in reverse until you break through the gelcoat. I've never found the need to, but it can't hurt, either. As far as where to install it, I suppose that's as much of an aesthetic thing as anything else. Dealer's choice. I would, however, use some sealant on the back side of the drain flange - not only to eliminate any water from entering the cavity behind the wall you're drilling into, but also to help keep the flange in place over the long haul.