Dead outlet?

Ridge Runner

Reaction score
So, the port 12V outlet is dead on my 2004 282 Sailfish. I checked every fuse and reset every breaker. I have no idea how the wires are routed. Ideas?

The gauge is just on there temporarily to test for current.15853385735842043626045385709490.jpg

Last edited:

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I'm having a hard time picturing that being the starboard side.
Does the one on the other side work?
If you have multiple 12V outlets then there is a good chance that one is fed from the other. Most certainly they are fed from the same fuse panel....or an "ACCESSORY" switch
Its possible that the connector is off.

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If you don't find it with the breakers and fuses approach (and there isn't a wire break or anything like that), you will just have to start at the receptacle with you MM, and work your way back to where it loses power.

Not very helpful was I? 8^)

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
2014? Do you mean 2004?

Pull the outlet and check for power on the backside.

You said "all" fuses... but did you find the one that is specific to the 12V accessory outlets? Go to THAT fuse - check your manual, if need be. Double check that fuse, first. Then, check for 12V power on the line side of the fuse (remove it to check). Start there - move forward from that.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I believe it runs up to the cabin headliner and then over to the dash panel. All those 12v plugs have breakers or fuses. Gotta chase it down.

Ridge Runner

Reaction score
Sorry about the typos... It's a 2004, port side. The other side works. I looked in the manual and parts manual both before posting, no help in identifying where or which fuse/breaker. No power behind the outlet, it is out in the picture. I replaced it with a new outlet since the old one was a little corroded. If I don't find the problem tomorrow I'll just run new wire and be done.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
In your manual, it should at least tell you where the acc outlet's fuse is - and where the fuse block is located.

If the other side works, that makes it real easy to find the fuse. Pull one fuse at a time till it no longer works. With power off, test for continuity between the two acc outlet's + leads. It's not a completely definitive test if you get continuity, but it would be definitive if you get infinity. Also, check the wires, looking for a splice, at the back of the good outlet.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I'm pretty sure that all 12V outlets are switched (at least they should be or they will always be live and they'll turn green... fast).
So that wire has to be going to a panel switch marked ACCY. Possibly the same switch that controls the outlet on the other side.
OR.... that wire goes to the other outlet.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Does Grady do that? Wire them through a dash switch? I don't know for sure one way or the other on his Grady - just that many manufacturer's run them direct off the fuse panel - but the fuse panel is switched via the main battery switch.

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Both my GW had been modified somewhere along the way. No guarantee the boat is stock unless you bought it new...

Clark.N

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
My 232 Gulfstream (1998 bought new) has only one 12 v receptacle but it goes directly to the fuse panel. What I have found while trouble shooting is loose and corroded connectors and the fuse holders and fuse corroded. Needed to clean fuse and also holder.

Ridge Runner

Reaction score
They are not switched. I have 4 Aux Switches. I used one for my spotlight, and later today I am going to use another one for another set of 12V & USB Outlets. They are hot wired, active when the batteries are switched on. I found the chart in the manual, but no diagram. It says it is supposed to be 10 Ga Red/Orange wire with a 15A fuse in the Fuse Block... Unfortunately, there are no 15A fuses in the block, and none of them are marked, and there is no Red/Orange wire coming into the block. I will try the suggestion above and pull the fuses until the Starboard outlet is disabled, and chase wires from there, assuming they are both on the same fuse.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
When you find the fuse, just make sure someone didn't put in a LARGER fuse - smaller is OK - but a larger one can cause fires.

16 years old... that's long enough for a few previous owner's to have had their way with your boat... and sometimes it only takes one!

seasick

Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance but what am I looking at in the photo. There is an outlet laying on the deck but is the thing that looks like some sort of meter?

Fishtales

Reaction score
I believe the 12v outlets are direct wired as stated. Even if modified, it likely is running either to the small fuse panel or the DC breaker in the panel.

Ridge Runner

Reaction score
Solved! Today I was pulling wires through the tubes and up to the rigging area and I noticed that the wires going to the Stbd side were the wrong color, and had some extra coiled & tied off. Looking like that side had been repaired, I found that it was the far left bottom fuse in the block. It had a 20A fuse in it though. I figured the top one had to be for the port side. Went to trace the wire only to27044764555457.jpeg find my problem right at the fuse panel. The connector was loose and corroded. New connector and proper 15A fuses, and we are fully functional!

seasick

Reaction score
Good detective work. Many of those connections look dirty/corroded but may not need immediate attention. The main red feed on the left though is something I would take apart and clean up the lug, washer underside of nut, etc. When done, a shot of Boeshield T9 will help reduce future corrosion

Ridge Runner

Reaction score
While I was at it, I added this set of outlets and meter. The meter is what is shown in the above photo somebody asked about. I was testing the wiring with it since it was handy. These are panel switched, 15A.

20200330_111533.jpg20200330_111521.jpg

Reactions: SkunkBoat

Ridge Runner

Reaction score
Good detective work. Many of those connections look dirty/corroded but may not need immediate attention. The main red feed on the left though is something I would take apart and clean up the lug, washer underside of nut, etc. When done, a shot of Boeshield T9 will help reduce future corrosion

I added re-doing all of these connectors to my list...