Deck drain inserts - where to find replacement part?

Tinny

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hello everyone - hoping someone can point me in the right direction. The deck drains on my 282 sailfish HAD a small plastic pin that ran across the middle of the opening to prevent larger solid items from slipping in and plugging up the drain. However, 3 of the 4 pins have recently broken off (they have become very brittle with age). From what I can see to replace them based on the original design I would have to take out the flush mount drain and reinstall. This seems like a lot of unnecessary work if it might be possible to source some sort of retractible pin or tension rod that could simply slide into the current openings.

In any case, I suspect someone else here has run into the same issues and may have come up with a quick fix solution.

Thanks,
Vince

Attachments

• IMG_8140.jpg
    IMG_8140.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 60

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Vince,
Unfortunately there is no quick fix that I'm aware of. I had the same scupper drains on my 228, I chose to go the updated route and do away with the standard plastic replacement drains. I went with the newer updated stainless drains, very happy with the improvement. No more broken pieces. They are more expensive, but they should last indefinitely.

20190324_193511.jpg

Reactions: JJMag

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If you want to try something, measure the opening and then go to HD or Lowes and look at the various shower drain inserts. Or try Amazon. To your original thought, I wouldn't stick something in there that could end up falling in creating a clog.

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yea, I had a guy get a hook caught in the drain and pull it out and broke the plastic bar. So what I did was measure the diameter of the drain and cut a 1/4 inch wooden dowel and inserted into the drain where the plastic bar broke. I did that 6 years ago and it is still good. Cheap fix.

Fishtales

Reaction score
You can find them. I did two on my boat. I'll see if I can locate the thread.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330

Fishtales

Reaction score
here is one I found,

I replaced both my floor drains on the starboard side. I bought them at Somer's Point Marina in New Jersey. I went back with plastic because I am crazy about trying to stay OEM and since the port side ones were ok I wanted them to match. The originals used a straight plastic countersunk drain with a 90 degree elbow screwed onto the end as Bob mentioned. They were 1 1/2". The replacements I bought were plastic countersunk 90 degree fittings so i didn't need the elbows. It was a major PITA but they look good. All the thru hulls are stainless though and I would never use plastic in that application no matter what the factory did. Somer's Point has plenty of the plastic fittings if you want to go that route and they will ship. They are a Grady dealer and I have found many obsolete parts there. They are nice people to boot.

Somers Point Marina
830 Bay Avenue
Somers Point, NJ 08244
609-927-5900
Fax 609-927-5862

http://somerspointmarina.com

Fishtales

Reaction score
here is more info.

Grady came through with the part numbers and manufacturer. The following is their response. I hope this helps others. They attached some pictures that I will try to include.

Hello Gary,

Sorry for the delay we have had an issue with our website which did not allow some emails to come through our system. Here’s some information that may help with two style replacement scupper floor drain on your boat. The white thermos plastic fittings GW part # 11-369 with the debri bar (made by T-H MARINE SUPPLIERS PH# 256-772-0164 and their item # is TH-1992R) can be purchase through your nearest GW dealer or you can consider our current style drains GW #11-547 (manufacturer is MARINE TOWN INC PH# 352-564-1150 DRAIN SCUPPER COCKPIT 90 DEG 1-1/2" item #0403436). I have attached both style fitting for you to take a look at. Please let us know if we can further assist you.

Kind Regards,

Carolyn Ray

Customer Relations

Grady White Boats

252-830-8600

Deep Blue

Reaction score
Hello everyone - hoping someone can point me in the right direction. The deck drains on my 282 sailfish HAD a small plastic pin that ran across the middle of the opening to prevent larger solid items from slipping in and plugging up the drain. However, 3 of the 4 pins have recently broken off (they have become very brittle with age). From what I can see to replace them based on the original design I would have to take out the flush mount drain and reinstall. This seems like a lot of unnecessary work if it might be possible to source some sort of retractible pin or tension rod that could simply slide into the current openings.

In any case, I suspect someone else here has run into the same issues and may have come up with a quick fix solution.

Thanks,
Vince
Vince,
I recall a prior thread, search for cockpit drain, someone found an elegant solution. The only issue is you need to remove the drain (underneath the cockpit) and apparently the Port ones are a misery to replace due to the location of the aft sink.

Tinny

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Found a simple and cheap solution for the time being. $3 each at Home Depot and fits like a glove. Sits snugly and doesn’t move when stepped on. And will be easy to clean!

Attachments

• AFFD4FDE-9EDF-4449-B890-85F4A73F0CBD.jpeg
    AFFD4FDE-9EDF-4449-B890-85F4A73F0CBD.jpeg
    233.2 KB · Views: 114
  • 1E95ABF1-8852-41F0-9D2C-2A00D1C2C17F.jpeg
    1E95ABF1-8852-41F0-9D2C-2A00D1C2C17F.jpeg
    267.9 KB · Views: 113
Reactions: Ky Grady

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I like the simple solutions - sometimes they are the best. Glad you got an easy/cheap solution... we don't always get the "cheap solutions" working around boats!

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Tinny, I just googled like crazy for that part number from moehn and only the home Depot in Cali sells it but won't ship and a company in Canada that doesn't ship to US! Hopefully j can't find something similar here locally. Great idea

Tinny

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
It seems like all the Home Depot's in Canada have them (that is where I got mine). Try www.homedepot.ca to get the Canadian stores. They may not ship to the US but maybe you can get them to ship to a mail/parcel company in Canada that can then ship package directly to you. You'll end up paying more in shipping than what the product sells for but they do cheaply solve a problem. And at the price I bought a few extras just in case.....

Last edited:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Other companies could make something similar, aside from Moen. Measure the diameter of the hole and just stop by a HD or Lowes - or even a local mom& pop hardware store. Even if it's a little bigger than the hole, it should work since you can form the SS to fit.

Capnjim7

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I replaced both port side drains recently with stock inserts from Radio Island Marina in Morehead City NC. Jim in Parts stocks them. Not very expensive...putting them in however wasn't impossible but a definite challenge. The starboard side is eroding away as well and I have already figured out that to be able to unscrew the drain nut and reattach it and then insert that into the large rubber drain hose that attaches to the through hull for overboard will require me to cut an access hole and hatch cover to even reach it.. Be prepared...