Do you think this area is cored?

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Im running a new transducer. I'd prefer to drill where there is no coring. The bottom of the splash well isn't cored, but I can't tell if these areas are. Anyone know if GW typically cores the side walls of the splash well? Tapping on these spots sounds similar to the deck.
20220220_163045.jpg

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
My 99 268 is not. Drill a pilot hole to check.
Thanks efx, but the unnecessary hole is what I'm trying to avoid!;)
If you have no coring there, my guess is I'll be ok too.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I wouldn't want to say definitively, but typically, "short" areas of glass (like you're referencing) don't need coring (not always, but more often than not, anywyas). For the fwd "wall" of the well, just take off one of the boots around a hyd line and check? Do you have an inspection port (or small door) forward of your left foot, possibly in a vertical section (step down) of the deck? If so, you can probably peer in that way.

But, it's not the end of the world if it is. Just saturate the core with resin really well. A pipe cleaner works really well for this.

seasick

Reaction score
Why have you highlighted two areas? A cable for a transducer would run under the deck in a rigging tube I would think.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Dennis, there is no inspection port close by. I will use my remote camera to see what it looks like on the back side.
Yes, the fix can be simple if there is coring, but it isn't if you don't have a heated garage. It's on the to-do list!

Seasick, I'm not sure what you are implying. I'm simply looking at 2 different areas to run the wire in/out the back of the boat. Choice 1 is to the left. The wire will be pulled through the rigging tube once I get into the bilge.

seasick

Reaction score
That makes sense. I thought that the wire was going to come out of one spot and into the second one . My confusion.

Reactions: family affair