Documented vessle vs state registration

Squid1962

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Wrestling over whether to register my 330 Express in MA or go for a documented vessel. Any thoughts, benefits or negatives?

Reactions: Punchline Cap

PDX-Boats

Reaction score
My 305 is documented. You still need to register it with your state, but you don't have to display the state registration numbers.
It's an advantage to me as I take the boat into Canadian waters and documentation provided some extra protection for the boat.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
USCG documenting is a replacement for state "titling" not necessarily state registration.
It appears MA never requires registration of a documented vessel ...but does require a registration fee after 60 consecutive days if you are registered out of state
Florida does require state registration of USCG documented vessels after 89 consecutive days in the state.
Other states have different rules

So the answer depends on where you will use the boat. If you split time in MA and FL it would appear to make sense to document and not ever pay a MA fee.

Moving between states may be easier without the need to re-title in the new state.

BOAT/US has an FAQ about this.

Definitely a need to think it thru...

Reactions: PDX-Boats

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Massachusetts does not require a registration if the boat is documented. One of the few rules Massachusetts get right. My boat was bought new so I just transferred the documentation and renamed it. Very easy process and they are very efficient about renewal each year. Seems like a 2 or 3 day turnaround and shows up several weeks before the previous years expires. At first I wondered if I would be subject to a lot of local police stops for not having numbers but it 10 years never an issue. Boat looks cleaner without MS # and stickers too.

battles2a5

Reaction score
Documented vessel gets you out of excise tax in MA as well since it isn’t registered which adds up quickly especially with a new boat. Got inspected by USCG last season and no issues with documentation material, just make sure you have the id number permanently fastened to the hull as required.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Int
Documented vessel gets you out of excise tax in MA as well since it isn’t registered which adds up quickly especially with a new boat. Got inspected by USCG last season and no issues with documentation material, just make sure you have the id number permanently fastened to the hull as required.
Interesting, I am in MA and have been paying excise tax on my documented boat for the past 10 years. I will have to research tha

Lucky13

Reaction score
Deff go with documentation over registration. Where will you be out of with your 330?

Squid1962

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
The name will be Escape. How bout you. Hailing port? Name?
.truly looking forward to it!

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I was told that documenting a new boat in MA would avoid the sales tax (since it's not registered with the state), but that turned out not to be correct. Took them a few years but they hunted me down and I had to pay the tax plus interest. Something to consider.

Squid1962

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Good Morning. Yes, I found that to be true. I checked with my town and the state and even though the vessel is not registered you need to pay sales tax to secure the title and excise tax to the local municipality where the vessel is moored/docked or hails from on July 1. The only advantage is no MS #s on the bow and the reg fees are a bit less over time.

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330

Ummm. No it does not. I'm definitely paying excise taxes to the good old town of Fairhaven. As well as the waterways use tax. Grrrr.

There is no escaping the long arm of MA revenue collectors! LOL

Timbo

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I was a mass resident but kept my documented boat in Maine four years latter I got a big fat tax bill plus interest from the state of mass. Be careful

Graybeard

Reaction score
My lender required my Marlin 300 to be documented but in Maryland I still have to get an annual sticker from the state. It made my insurance provider very happy that I have a documented boat.

battles2a5

Reaction score
Ummm. No it does not. I'm definitely paying excise taxes to the good old town of Fairhaven. As well as the waterways use tax. Grrrr.

There is no escaping the long arm of MA revenue collectors! LOL

I have not been hit w/ excise tax yet. How do I delete these posts??? :oops:

Reactions: kirk a

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Just got the excise tax bill from Falmouth for my documented 265 Express. They'll find you!