Dolphin verses Sailfish

brutus

Reaction score
Hi,
Just joined the forum and there is awesome info I'm learning here so up front, thank you all for that.
I'm looking to purchase a used Grady but I want to know if there are any significant differences between the Sailfish and the Dolphin models. I've been in a couple of 25' Sailfish models (1988 & 1989) and I've seen photos of a 25' '91 Dolphin but no real description on differences. The closest Dolphin to me is a 4 hour road trip and I'd like more hull info before driving out to see one.
My primary objective is to fish but I'd like a cuddy for family day trips too.
Any info or links on information would be great.

Thanks and great site!!

Brutus

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Welcome!

In 1990 the Sailfish changed, same as same year Dolphin hull but has more accomodating Cabin, you need to visit both cabins, pictures do no justice.
The Sailfish therefore is more expensive.

The pre 1990 Sailfish is different layout than 1990 and later, you may want to see both.

The boats were offered in I/O version, motors on bracket, and motors on transom cutout. Motors on bracket were most popular

If you go to Gradywhite website, you will find the original catalog for the year models you are looking at.

Good luck

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The Dolphin doesn't have the aft bunk and the cabin is more spartan (also no stand-up head) but holds an extra 40 gallons of fuel. The same year Sailfish has a higher helm area for more room below. The Dolphin has the sink area and more tackle storage above deck plus a 3rd seat by the helm that's kinda under the hard-top. You can sleep 2 adults and a kid on the Sailfish where the Dolphin holds 2.

The Dolphin is more "fishy", were the Sailfish is more "family friendly".

brutus

Reaction score
Thanks Guys...
I'll check out the catalogs. Looks like the Sailfish may win out due to no head in the Dolphin....
Thanks Again!! :D

fishie1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Grog said:
The Dolphin is more "fishy", were the Sailfish is more "family friendly".

As a former Dolphin owner (91) I would say that hits the nail on the head (no pun intended). I have pics on this site and more in my files. PM me if I can help.

sraab928

Reaction score