Dome light upgrade

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
My plastic 1997 vintage dome light at the helm needs to be replaced. Lens cracked and the housing UV damaged.

I can't find the OEM dome. I have read here that GW has switched to a Lumitec red/white touch with spreader light. Has anyone made the switch and where did you get it.

Last edited:

TeK

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Just a thought…find one that’s similar and add another switch.1667853203422.jpeg

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I call the GW dealer yesterday. Parts guy told me he has had half dozen inquires for the Lumitec with the spreader light switch - no longer available. I ordered one to see if it can be adapted but probably not. Have to put the spreader lights on the panel next to the livewell.

I hate projects like this. All I want to do is put the same thing back - for better or worse - and not have to find something else, drill new mounting holes and re-wire things.

Last edited:

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Last edited:

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Spreaders are fed from the E-box. Easier to put a switch up there. Think about adding another light or two on the top and then use a 3 or 4 position push-pull switch in the E-box.
1667998600167.png

Reactions: A&J Outdoors

Fishtales

Reaction score
How about using an accessory switch on the helm panel?

Finatic272

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I had the same problem with my light an my 1999Sailfish. I purchased a dome light with the red/ white light. Removed the spr

Finatic272

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Sorry my message got submitted before I was done…. I purchased a dome light with the red/ white switch. Removed the spreader switch from my old dome light. Drilled a hold in the new dome light installed the spreader switch. Works great.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my light an my 1999Sailfish. I purchased a dome light with the red/ white light. Removed the spr
When you accidently post your message before you are finished with it, you can just click on "Edit" at the bottom of your abbreviated message and complete it without having to retype everything.

A&J Outdoors

Reaction score
Website
www.outdoorslivecrew.com
Model
Sailfish
Sorry my message got submitted before I was done…. I purchased a dome light with the red/ white switch. Removed the spreader switch from my old dome light. Drilled a hold in the new dome light installed the spreader switch. Works great.
Sounds like a good solution, I am facing the same issue with my dome light, it looks like crap and works when it feels like it. :)

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I’ll look at this again this weekend. I like the Lumitec but it may be completely sealed and no place to install a spreader light switch.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
When mine stopped working I contacted Lumitec and they replaced it free of charge . I have 2013 228 and this was about two years ago. They normally want the old one back but due to cost from Australia they asked me to send photos with the rear cables cut close to the sealed part.
I was told that they make it specifically for GW. They make the same light without the spreader light switch .
The reason mine stopped working, water got in it .
Excellent service from Lumitec to replace a light that old free and they even paid for shipping to AU.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Original light was a Guest. Marino bought them but have since discontinued making dome light. I found a Marino Guest dome light single color no switch. They appear to use the exact same base with a different lens. I ordered one today. I'll move my red lamp and switches over. I'll post results.

I looked at the Lumitec but didn't like the single LED in a 6" diameter dome light. Touch controls were clumsy. On its way back to Amazon.

Bilpep

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Check out wave one marine in Florida. That gave done this before. Just need to add/use your old switch

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
A little cyanoacrylate on the rubber trim and hot glue on the wires. Keep everything in place when putting back up. Otherwise they are a pain with everything moving around.
Dome 3.jpeg

Reactions: Halfhitch

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Wasn’t a switch problem. The lens and housing looked like crap. I’m working on getting another housing for a spare. I have plenty of switches from DigiKey in my spares. They also have the combo switch for red/white light selection.