Downrigger on 24 Offshore

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I have been trolling stainless wire for stripers since I was a kid. I wouldn't change something that works for me except that I have been fishing with some guys lately that really don't know how to handle it and it is starting to cost me in lost rigs, wire and fish. I am thinking of mounting a manual downrigger on my Offshore and fishing umbrellas and spoons with mono.. Is there any reason I can't mount it amidships or just aft of amidships? I see most are mounted in the rear corner but that doesn't work on the boat...and I will be doing it by myself occasionally and I don't want it that far from the helm.

Any response is appreciated.
Thanks,
Joe

suzukidave

Reaction score
my understanding is you mount downriggers as far astern as you can to minimize the risk of fouling the prop.

Reactions: Uncle Joe

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I have a Penn Fathom 600 with extended arm in my garage. Haven't used it in 2 years. Used it on my V20 for stripers a handful of times. Umbrella rigs...ugh!
Has to be in the stern corner. You don't want steel cable in your prop. Mine was on a rotating base on a rodholder mount and went in the corner rodholders.
Don't even think of trolling with a downrigger by yourself. Been There...thats the reason I didn't use it much..too many solo trips.

I started using MOJOs on braid. I'll never use a downrigger for bass again.
Ditch the wire line and forget the downrigger. Find your MOJO!!!

If you want to pull bunker spoons, get a 32 oz Mojo and trail a small bunker spoon 30 feet back (yes you'll have to hand line it in from the swivel)

fullsizeoutput_36c7.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Uncle Joe