Drilling Angled Holes For Rod Holders

Capt Khaos

Reaction score
I am about to install 2 new GW rod holders between the existing gunnel mounted rod holders on my 228 Seafarer. The 2 3/8" hole is supposed to be cut on a 65 degree angle. The Milwaukee hole saw I bought is not designed to cut on an angle. First of all the 1/4" drill bit in the center is too short but I can change that. Does anybody have any tips on how this SHOULD be done?

P.S. I am also about to install a 0 degree Lee's rod holder in the gunnel directly in front of my outboard. This is a straight forward hole and the rod holder has a fitting for a drain line which I'm planning to run into the live well.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Happy Holidays,
Dan

gerrys

Reaction score
If you have a long pilot bit and a buddy to hold the upside-down rod holder as a guide, you should be able to free-hand drill the hole. They also make a jig that the drill attaches to that can be set at the appropriate angle. See a pic of the jig here:
http://www.thehulltruth.com/forums/thre ... 1#M1866734
I've mounted many and have yet to need a jig. Go slow and be prepared to counter the "walking" of the saw as the holesaw first engages the deck. Be sure to seal the hole with 5200 or epoxy prior to installing the holder. Use the metal backing plate that comes with the holder to distribute the pressure.
Remember to angle out the holder as appropriate to work with other holders that are already mounted.

Gary M

Reaction score
We drilled holes for gunnel mounted Outriggers and we used a piece of 2x4 to make a drill angle template. We then pre-drilled a pilot hole and then used the hole saw down through the 2x4 for the proper angle. I had backing plates made at a shop that does towers, etc for $30.

We sealed the holes VERY well with 5200 and even looked up from underneath to make sure. Same with the four bolt holes. We then fitted the backing plate to position the bolt holes that we then drilled. We used oversized flat washers, then lock washers, then the nuts. We then did a thin layer of caulk around the entire base.

seasick

Reaction score
Gary M said:
We drilled holes for gunnel mounted Outriggers and we used a piece of 2x4 to make a drill angle template. We then pre-drilled a pilot hole and then used the hole saw down through the 2x4 for the proper angle. I had backing plates made at a shop that does towers, etc for $30.

We sealed the holes VERY well with 5200 and even looked up from underneath to make sure. Same with the four bolt holes. We then fitted the backing plate to position the bolt holes that we then drilled. We used oversized flat washers, then lock washers, then the nuts. We then did a thin layer of caulk around the entire base.

I prefer to seal with a coat or two of resin. It penetrates the glass better than 5200. After all is cured, mount the fittings with 5200.
The template trick works but I have been able to start the hole straight and then angle the bit to the correct angle. On some hole cutters, the extension of the pilot bit is adjustable. Take a look for the set screw.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Rod Holders

Drill a 1/4" pilot hole. Buy a piece of 1/4" steel rod at Home Depot and replace the drill bit in the hole saw. Go slowly with the hole saw until the hole saw is completly into the hole. Be careful not to wiggle the drill too much or it will bind.

I like the idea of making a 2x4 jig first and then possibly use my method. It would help control the angle.

go fish

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
I have a pair of 0 degree GW logo rod holders. New condition. $65.00 each. 252-353-8777

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Drill through the gelcoat in reverse or you will causde major spider cracks and chipping, you do not have to go far, just top break the surface, then switch to drilling in the correct direction. You should always do this when drilling into fiberlgass, but especially so on a big hole like this.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Has anyone installed rod holders in the transom of a 228? I would like to add a couple but first want to see if anyone else had any firsthand tips.

Capt Khaos

Reaction score
Strikezone,
Mine went well...no issues since it is a straight through hole. My rod holder had a drain hose fitting in the bottom which I just left open to the bilge. Some have a plastic, flip top cover. I also installed 2 additional GW angled rod holders (made by Perko), one on each gunnel between the 2 originals. Measuring for dead center between them can be tricky because of the angled hole.
Cheers,
Dan

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Capt. Khaos
Thanks for the info. I was on the boat earlier today and was looking for a suitable location on the transom. The best locations would be behind the jump seats but without measuring the depth I'm not sure the cushion would fit it the rod holder was put in that location.

If I put them behind the baitwell that wouldn't be an issue but drainage would go into the bilge which I could prevent by keeping a rubber stopper in the rod holder.

I'll take some measurements next time and see which path to take.

Reactions: PNW_Drifter