'Ducer wire thru transom.

Ridge Runner

Reaction score
Dunno if this is how y'all do it, but I looked at another wire going through the transom and didn't trust its seal integrity.
For a new install, I hated drilling that huge hole to feed the transducer connector through.
So, I slit a piece of fuel hose, waxed it, put it on the 'ducer wire, then forced epoxy into the hole until it came out the inside of the transom. I twisted the hose around to make sure I had even coverage, set the fuel line centered in the epoxy, and left it to cure. Today I worked the fuil line loose and pulled it out. Now I have a much smaller, moisture proof hole for the wire! Next, caulk the wire in for the final seal (it's above the waterline), minor dressing, and a clam shell shield, and done...20201120_170519.jpg20201120_170540.jpg

Reactions: SkunkBoat

Fishtales

Reaction score
Have not done that, but it looks like a great way to address the issue.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Yup, I get it. Just never did it...

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
It good that you treated the hole with epoxy to protect the coring. Did you do the same with the transducer screw holes?

I don't like the fuel hose. I would pull it out, make sure you have enough epoxy inside the hole, clean up the edges and neatly fill with 3M 4200. Possibly clamshell cover to clean up the look but treat those holes too.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I think the fuel hose went away after the second pic. Now he is just trying to seal the hole, and clean it up. My suggestion for a plug would come after the second pic, not as an alternative to his method of sealing the core.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Yes, the fuel hose was sacrificial.

Ridge Runner

Reaction score
Right, fuel hose was sacrificial, a mold if you will. I did not want to epoxy the wire in there because this boat will get all new electronics in a year or two and this wire may or may not come out. Yes, the screw holes were treated...

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I have sleeved them with PVC bonded to the core with thickened epoxy. After running the wire backfilling with below the water line rated sealant. Add clamshell to finish.

I like the hose idea for sealing small holes. I did use a balloon to do something similar on a garboard hole.