Electronics options

JeremyUpchurch1

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
Hi. I’m a new boater and the 236 fisherman will be my second ever boat. The dealer is wanting to know what electronics I want on the boat. I will mainly be using it for sandbar hopping and occasional fishing less than 20 miles off shore. Mostly 3-5 miles off. Fishing is not the main use of the boat though. Could you guys please reconnect what I need to have installed on the boat? I had a garmin 942 on my sportsman. I didnt know how to use it properly but it got the job done although I wish it was bigger and I wish I had 2 screens at time to keep up with the channel and other stuff. I live in Southport, NC. Thank you

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
At a minimum a good MFD, and VHF radio, not sure why you'd need 2 screens if not a fisherman. With that MFD, go with a transom mount transducer. Probably a 12" screen. KISS. If you can't let go of the 2 screen idea, a pair of 9" would be plenty for a 23.

Not sure what you mean by keep up with the channel, however.

Reactions: JeremyUpchurch1

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Garmin Echomap's are good if you only want one display. I personally like two displays and went with two 86xx xsv's.

I think the 1243xsv or 943xsv's are a good choice for you. Don't let the dealer push the older 1242/942's or 1022/1222's.

I don't know dimensions but it looks like you could get two 1243xsv's side-by-side. They don't both have to be xsv's.

Look at the Fusion stereo systems. Apollo series amp.

Garmin VHF while you are at it.

my23-236-helm-overall.jpeg

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
The thing to buying these is to pay attention to what you get. Some are sold without sonar. Some with sonar but transducer not included. Some have "Worldwide base map" (lame) and some have G3 Coastal maps..OR G3 LAKE maps or Navionics maps. Edit: It looks like this year Garmin is now offering "Garmin Navioncs" and not G3. (Garmin bought Navionics a few years ago))
You only get what you pay for and buying it with what you want in a bundle is WAY cheaper. So read the description before you buy.

Tell them to use a SternPAD and NOT drill holes for your transducer.

If you want to keep price down stay with a single unit.You are not going to be adding more or adding Radar.
EchoMap would be enough for the use you describe. EchoMap comes in screens up to 12".
One that includes a transom mount TM 54 or TM56 and G3 Coastal charts
If you setup your Combo split screens and learn to use it, one big screen will do fine

A step up is GPSMAP 943xsv or 1243xsv. Better and cost more. If you want to add radar and another screen later, get this.

Like Hookup said, there is a lot of old (3 years at least) 1042/1242 inventory out there that is being discounted (West marine). I would get the newer stuff.

I don't think you need to go up to GPSMAP 8612

Last edited:

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Tell them to use a SternPAD and NOT drill holes for your transducer.
This is excellent advice from SkunkBoat - don't drill into your transom to mount anything! Use this block or drill thru the hull.

Don't be afraid to push the dealer for the new electronics models. Although its better now they were pushing older unit because of supply chain problems. A friend on mine bought a new 27' Sea Hunt and the sleaze ball dealer sold him previous models. Another bought a Parker center console and same thing happed to him. Both guys did not know much about electronics and went with the dealers choices.

JeremyUpchurch1

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
This is excellent advice from SkunkBoat - don't drill into your transom to mount anything! Use this block or drill thru the hull.

Don't be afraid to push the dealer for the new electronics models. Although its better now they were pushing older unit because of supply chain problems. A friend on mine bought a new 27' Sea Hunt and the sleaze ball dealer sold him previous models. Another bought a Parker center console and same thing happed to him. Both guys did not know much about electronics and went with the dealers choices.
Thank you. I don’t know anything at all about electronics which makes me super nervous.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
West Marine has a Garmin sale going on now. Not sure how it affects your dealers pricing with installation.

My recommendation would be a 1243xsv (2,499.99) and a 1243 ($2,279.99) displays. No transducers in there bundles. These are a great choice for your use case.

The top of the line option is the 8612xsv (3,299.99) and a 8612 ($2,899.99) displays. No transducers in there bundles. Better resolution and display type but not necessary.

I would NOT go with the 1242xsv (2,199.99) and a 1242xsv ($1,599.99) displays with GT52-HW Transducer. Does not include touch screen. Uses keypad to move around. They also make this in a touch version 1242xsv Plus version but I believe it was replaced by the 1243xsv.

The GT52-HW is a great transducer. It's overkill for your needs (includes side-scan). See what others have to say. When your dealer mounts the transducer on the no-holes-in-transom block make sure they don't drill holes in the transom below the waterline for the wire! And that it's properly caulked. Maybe a small clamshell cover caulked as well.

You are most likely going to have a small 7" CL7 display on your console as well. I think you will have room for everything. 943 displays are an option but I think you will like the 1243''s better. You could also go single screen.

Best of luck with your new boat!

JeremyUpchurch1

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
West Marine has a Garmin sale going on now. Not sure how it affects your dealers pricing with installation.

My recommendation would be a 1243xsv (2,499.99) and a 1243 ($2,279.99) displays. No transducers in there bundles. These are a great choice for your use case.

The top of the line option is the 8612xsv (3,299.99) and a 8612 ($2,899.99) displays. No transducers in there bundles. Better resolution and display type but not necessary.

I would NOT go with the 1242xsv (2,199.99) and a 1242xsv ($1,599.99) displays with GT52-HW Transducer. Does not include touch screen. Uses keypad to move around. They also make this in a touch version 1242xsv Plus version but I believe it was replaced by the 1243xsv.

The GT52-HW is a great transducer. It's overkill for your needs (includes side-scan). See what others have to say. When your dealer mounts the transducer on the no-holes-in-transom block make sure they don't drill holes in the transom below the waterline for the wire! And that it's properly caulked. Maybe a small clamshell cover caulked as well.

You are most likely going to have a small 7" CL7 display on your console as well. I think you will have room for everything. 943 displays are an option but I think you will like the 1243''s better. You could also go single screen.

Best of luck with your new boat!
Thank you very much! This was useful and I appreciate it again!

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Make sure the dealer delivers Garmin units with Garmin Navionics maps. New old stock units will be loaded with Garmin G3 maps which is being replaced by the Garmin Navionics maps and may not be a "free" upgrade.