Emergency Boat Plugs (Sinking)

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
On another forum, a thread popped up about a boat that started sinking due to a broken (plastic) thru-hull. The thru-hull was above the waterline, but not by much. Once some water got inside, it weighed the boat down enough where things started to get worse and worse. The colder couple (who, at that time didn't know why they were sinking) on the boat apparently got the boat into a slip, late at night, and dockmates where able to find the issue and plugged the hole. Obviously, there's a lesson here to maintain your thru-hulls, but in the event of an emergency, whether yours or a fellow boater's, carrying some (inexpensive) safety equipment can, quite literally, be a "boat saver". Below are some examples that I'd thought I'd pass along. Feel free to add anything you've found, as well. As the saying goes - better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it...

-- Wooden emergency plug kit (bungs). I don't personally have these, but they seem to be popular.
-- TruPlug https://truplug.com/ I do have a couple of these and I'm sure they would work very well - especially for odd shaped holes/gashes.
-- A toilet "wax ring". I carry one of these, too. If you've ever changed a toilet bowl, I'm sure you can imagine how well it would "smoosh" into a hole.
-- Rescue Tape https://www.rescuetape.com/ I also carry this onboard for emergency hose repair. I haven't used it in on the boat, but I have used it for various things around the house and it is quite interesting as once you stretch it, it sort of glues to itself.

And, one last thing... keep in mind that beaching the boat is always an option.

SirGrady226

Reaction score
That flextape stuff that's advertised could be handy since it sticks even in water.

Fishtales

Reaction score
you want this stuff in your boat. get a couple of tubs.

HookUp

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
looks like good stuff that stay-afloat
thanks for the tip fishtales

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Fish, have you ever had that stuff in your hands? How does it compare to a wax ring? It's looks a tad bit softer... but boy, it sure does look similar! Neat product, though.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Probably the same consistency as you say maybe a bit softer. I've only touched it from under the lid - thank goodness I've never needed it. One tub under the port seat and 2 in the ditch bag. hope it stays there.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Probably the same consistency as you say maybe a bit softer. I've only touched it from under the lid - thank goodness I've never needed it. One tub under the port seat and 2 in the ditch bag. hope it stays there.
I know what you mean. Hopefully, you wasted your money by buying it! :)

Fishtales

Reaction score
yea... I sure hope so. maybe I can repurpose it for a grade schools science project for my grand kids once my kids finish school, get married, have kids and I have a new GW in the barn.