Enclosure - What do you use to clean the vinyl?

GT

Reaction score
Best product for cleaning the vinyl on my enclosure? Mine are 1 season old but I from the looks of them I put them away dirtier than I should have. No scratches, water spots and some haze. :cry: Need something to restore them.
I'll take suggestions, including home made recipes before running out to West Marine at lunch today.
Thanks

catch22

Reaction score
210 plastic cleaner/polish.

210plasticpolish.jpg

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
210 and plexus are great, megiuers also has a good product, all of them are kits that have multiple steps, they require you to clean the plastic, then polish it to keep it in good shape, and they have a cleaner for normal use. Only use mild scent free soap, no dish detergent or bleach on them or they will be ruined quickly.

catch22

Reaction score
GT said:
Thanks guys. I think I've seen Plexis, but is 210 available in marine stores like West Marine?

I know it's available at Boaters World... not sure about West.

GT

Reaction score
gradyfish22 said:
Only use mild scent free soap, no dish detergent or bleach on them or they will be ruined quickly.

Gradyfish - do you use dwetergent AND the store bought cleaners combined?

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
When I wash the boat I will try and avoid using soap unless there was significant spray on the vinyl windows, if there was I will wash with that to get it off. If I have time after I will use the plastic cleaner after, but if rinsed well it will not be needed. You should be able to wash down the windows with fresh water to get the salt off, I try and avoid the soap but if I'm in a rush it is better then nothing, the salt needs to come off. You cannot use the plastic cleaner to get the salt off, it will scratch the vinyl and that is something you do not want to do. I use a mild boat soap, I use orpine soap and usually use a low concentration. I've done it for a few seasons and it has not had any bad effects on the vinyl, but I still use the cleaners, using soap over time will likely take the polish off, along with salt spray.

Stonewall

Reaction score
I spray them down with lots of water, then wipe them gently with a soft cloth as I pour on more water with the hose. I dry them with a terry cloth towel and use Plexus. I never use soap of any kind just lots of water.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi

I used the 2 step Maguires once a year in the spring after washing them in the fall.

After install I only hose off very well after each trip. My 2002 curtins were like new after 5 years (except for a slight fade of the sunberlla. I expect the Marlin to be even better with the new white
fabric.

Gary M

Reaction score
GT said:
but I from the looks of them I put them away dirtier than I should have.

And never fold them! Always roll them up and keep in a dry, well ventilated place.....

I use a mild solution of soap with tons of water and squeegee them clean/dry. Use a polish for them a few times a year.

GT

Reaction score
Guess I should clarify. I never use soap on the vinyl, only fresh water from the hose, and occasionally saltaway that was left over in its cansiter from flushing the engine. A very diluted saltaway. After this season I took them off after a good rinse and stored them flat with a lounge chair cushion between each one.
I think I'll rinse them again, squegee, dry with terry cloth, and then apply a cleaner like Plexus.
Thanks guys