Engine and Grady Bracket removal

Zeebr00k

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My next project is the Grady bracket needs to be repainted or powder coated. It looks like it will be an easier job to remove the bracket and have it done professionally.
Does anyone know how difficult of a job it will be to remove myself using air tools and an engine hoist? Where can a new or used Grady bracket be purchased for a single OX66 225 from?
Thanks

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Not too bad of a job. The biggest issue you will have is if the Bracket mounting bolts going through the aluminum Are salted together. You may have to cook the aluminum around the bolt with oxygen acetylene to get the bolts out.

Zeebr00k

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks All, will see what kind of shape its in when I remove the bracket after the summer.

Carl

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I am in Sandspit Haida Gwaii so we are at opposite ends of the continent thanks anyway

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Oh wow. Shipping could get expensive. Hope you can find one close by.

Zeebr00k

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Sparkdog118, can you elaborate on how you access the bolts on the Grady 228? E.G. does the livewell need to be removed for that ?

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Correct. Livewell must come out. If you post some pics of the livewell area it will help.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Pulled my bracket and engine off 5 years ago and had the Springfield engine bracket on my 228G powder coated.

Wasn't too hard, was able to handle the job by myself.

When you get to it, make sure you wet down a wood dowel with epoxy and apply to the holes in the transom where the bolts go through. This will help keep your transom dry should water ever find a way in.

Used a lot of 3M 4000 on the bracket lip when I reattached the engine to the transom.

Bolts were tightened in a random pattern slowly with some loctite on the threads inside the transom.

Zeebr00k

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Pulled my bracket and engine off 5 years ago and had the Springfield engine bracket on my 228G powder coated.

Wasn't too hard, was able to handle the job by myself.

When you get to it, make sure you wet down a wood dowel with epoxy and apply to the holes in the transom where the bolts go through. This will help keep your transom dry should water ever find a way in.

Used a lot of 3M 4000 on the bracket lip when I reattached the engine to the transom.

Bolts were tightened in a random pattern slowly with some loctite on the threads inside the transom.

Zeebr00k

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I removed the engine easy enough. The livewell is removed and so are the bolts inside the transom and now having a hell of a time getting the Gil bracket off. Inside the Gil bracket you will see the 6 connection points, does anyone know why there are 6 nuts inside the bracket as well as on the transom side having 6 nuts too or are these bolts welded inside the bracket? Any tricks on how to get the bracket off other than hitting the bolts on the transom side with a sledge hammer? Don't want to damage anything.

Last edited:

Zeebr00k

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Screenshot_20200723-183101~2.png

This picture shows the bolts removed on the transom side
rsz_img_20200724_140322517.jpg

Last edited:

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I believe your bracket is different than mine. Post your hull year so someone can help with the correct answer.

Just making sure you took a razor blade around the entire bracket to allow the sealant to release.

Bracket is heavy, but should just pop off unless I am missing something...

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
PS-If there is water between the bracket and transom gel coat, you might get blisters in the gel coat for a period. They went away on my 228 in a day. I did tape off and roll 2 new coats of gel coat. Even though you don't see that area because it's covered by the bracket, good to have the extra moisture protection.

Zeebr00k

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks Leeccoll, Its a 2000 228, Gil was supplying Grady the brackets for that year. The bracket length is 30 inches, the inspection hole is at 20 inches at center from the transom. Dont know why there would be nuts on both sides of the bolt first time i've ever seen that.
Nuts!

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
And bolts o_O

Lot's of 228 owners on GG.

I'm confident someone will be able to give you better advice on your bracket removal.

If nobody can help sooner, the Grady White customer relations might be able to help. I have yet to stump them on a question like yours.

Unfortunately they aren't open until Monday, so fingers crossed for you on a quicker answer!

Lee