F250 Warranty Extension Question?? Yes or No?

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think when I bought my boat in the summer of 2005 was one of the few windows back then when Yamaha wasn't offering 6yr warranties with the purchase of a new large block motor. So this summer I have to make the big decision: buy an extension or not?? From what I understand they are extremely expensive... I think well over $1500/motor/yr. Does that sound right?? I haven't had one problem at all with my F250's and to me a warranty extension looks like good moeny being thrown away. With that said I know one major problem may have me looking back and kicking myself pretty hard.

What do you guys do or think about entensions.

Average Joe

Reaction score
It's a tough call Joe. Some guys will say it's a no-brainer to get the warrenty and others will say just take your chances.

I fall into the latter category simply because I didn't have the extra cash at the time.

Some things to consider are how many hours are on the motors, how long do you plan to keep the boat, etc. You might also research any reliability issues with that motor before making a decision.

I know a guy who has twin 250's on a Hydrasport and one of them had to have a lower unit replaced at 500 hours when a gear failed and it wouldn't go into gear.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Decision is strictly up to you. I purchased the YES for our new twins in October 2005.

I will strongly recommend that you contact Andy at Shipyard Island Marina, as he may make you a better offer on the warranty.
Andrew Munao Jr <andyjr@shipyardisland.com>

Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in Shipyard Island Marina - just a very satisfied customer.

Brian

Fishtales

Reaction score
You need to honestly sit down and say how do I use them and then how do I maintain them.

My gut says, never, never buy and extended warranty. But to each his own....

Tashmoo

Reaction score
A few thoughts here, first only purchase the Yamaha warranty. My suggestion is do not buy after market warrantees unless you are willing to spend the time figuring out what has been excluded from coverage. Next, do you have $3,000 in cash to plop down for something that may or may not happen? If the answer is no it's clear, if the answer is yes and you elect not to, how hard will you kick yourself later if you need it. Only you know yourself, if you pass and have a problem(s) worth $3,000 or more plus deductibles can you let it go pay the price and move on?

If your mind set allows you to bet on Football my guess is that this one is worth the roll, put the money in a CD and self insure.

PS Keep this in mind, Yamaha is not in the business of selling extended warranties to loose money.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you want it, shop around some dealers have higher mark-ups. If it's not a Yamaha warranty, don't waste your money.

Dr. Kleen

Reaction score
yes

I purschased the YES from Andy also. He had the best price and is extremely nice to work with, he did all of the registration.

I also purschase all of my supplies from him as he has the best price and customer service.

Jeff D

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses so far. I don't think there is a good anwer to my question... damned if you do and damned if you don't. The guy in the slip next to me bought a used boat that had two new carburated V8 gas inboards... new from the intake manifolds down. The boat was not running well... would choke, spit etc ... but sometimes it ran OK. Don't ask me why he bought it. He had a friend who was a mechanic look at it and he pinned it to fuel issues but couldn't figure it out. So he had the marina shop work on it... they ended up replacing both carburators with rebuilds but not before a lot of trial and error. Then wacked him for $6300. I felt really bad for him but it got me thinking about my warranty.

Question: Brian & Jeff... how does Andy's prices compare to Ed's Marine that GulfGrady posted? Also, don't dealers frown on honoring warranties that other dealers sold... especially when they aren't even within the geographic area?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Joe, depends also on how long you will keep the boat, and the hours you use it.

After all, it is an unlimited hour warranty too.

I heard from my Yamaha guy the Fs have problems with their injectors, unlike the 2 strokers, but do better with fuel issues than the two strokers.

There was a subject over at THT where people reported their engine warranty repairs, even those caused by unintentional customer screw-ups were covered by warranty, so it's more than just an insurance policy - at least on the Yamahas.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I was about to say it's too bad the 6 yr deal wasn't part of the original purchase. It would be hard for me to decide today if I had to pay extra for it too.

wrobinson

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I opted not to purchase the extended warranty and wish that I had. Once stuff starts breaking, everything is 1200 bucks a shot.

I had four stroke 225s and my advice would be if you think you are going to run the hours up over 1500 (the point in time mine became problematic) I would get the warranty.

I just repowered with the 6 year deal and will never have engines not under warranty again, but I use my boat a good bit.

Good Luck

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for the input Bob... I will look into the problems with the 4 strokes.

wrob, right now I have less than 200hrs on the boat... that's 2.5 seasons... bought the boat in August 2005. Up here my boating starts around 5/1 and ends around 10/15... less than 6 mos. I doubt I would ever reach 1500 hrs in the next 3.5 yrs... I think from here on out 200hrs/yr or less will be about right. That's one of the reasons I'm on the fence.

wrobinson

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have had to "get in the back of the line" many times since I bought my boat used. One suggestion would be to determine which yamaha shop can best handle the haul out requirements for your boat and buy the extended warranty from them with the understanding you get treated as if you bought the boat from them. The offseason in a boating recession would be a great time to strike that deal.

I would start with the Grady dealer that sells a good many 33s and 36s even if it is a bit of a hike to get there. I get most of my work done a couple of hundred miles north of my marina because crockers in wrightsville beach is set up to deal with the large boats. (their own docks,hydraulic trailers, big enough shop they could have 10 under cover at one time, etc.)

Even if you spend a few hundred bucks more for the warranty, buying from a shop that has the infrastructure to handle a larger boat will be worth it in the long run if you get better service.

Jhopman

Reaction score
I have a 2002 chase 273 that I purchased used a few years ago. When it was time to make the same decision I asked all the same questions. Ultimately I found a great deal on the YES warranty through Yamaha. Shop around for the best price. I bought the three year additional warranty. At about 500 hours (two months ago) I noticed oil in the water and as I was changing the impeller I also found a large amount of oil in the lower end. My local Yamaha service shop took a look at it and got approval from Yamaha to replace the power head. I can't tell you how happy I was to have the warranty. The warranty covered everything. A new power head without a warranty would have cost more than twice what I paid for both my warranties.

Another selling point is that I was told I can cancel the warranty at any time and get a refund for the pro-rated portion.

hard call but in my case it was deffinately worth it.

Good luck

sel1005

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
especially interested in anyone that has bought one place and had service elsewhere. My local dealer has great techs but no water location, but my boat can't be serviced without haul out.

I'm up for the 6K or whatever for a few years of protection, but don't want any BS about "you didn't buy here".

Any experience on this issue? Thanks