Finding a Grady-so many to choose from??

fighterpilot

Reaction score
Looking for an outboard boat--but need help in models that will meet my requirements. So many different variations of Gradys I am having a hard time sorting them all out. What follows are my requirements.
Outboard or outboards on an extension
25 to 28 feet long
9'6" beam, we bottom fish, need stability, no rocking when you step down on boat from the dock.
Some bottom fishing out in the Gulf during Snapper season, and fish in the bays. Don't go if more than 2-3 foot seas.
WA, need hardtop-will enclose and put a RV roof a/c on it an run with my Honda gen. to A/C helm.
Head or at least a porta-potty. Kitchen and shower not a requirement, but most will probably have. something. V bunk for resting would be good. Probably not more than one overnight a year.
Would like to get by with one OB like on a Parker 2520 but know most Gradys in my size come with twins,
Closed Transom-OB/S on extension.
Want Tuna door or door thru transom to get to ladder, or swim platform, or extension.
Want to fish 4 to 6
Want 22 knots, loaded with people, ice, equipment, etc. for fishing.
Will keep in the water, except for maintenance and haul out for hurricanes. (Panhandle of FL)
If no trailer, price needs to reflect that as an additional cost to be, since I need a trailer.
Best value to meet the above needs for $25,000.
Thanks

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You are describing my boat almost exactly - Sailfish 272 built from 1994-2000. You will need a beast to tow it, however. At your $25K price range, you will be looking at original 2-strokes that will be thirsty. It may push your budget a bit but I suggest looking for a 98 or newer for two reasons. One is that the Eurotransom was redesigned that year to have a longer running surface - the full 27+ feet rather than 25+ feet. The second is that I think that is the year Grady switched to rot-resistant wood core material they call Greenwood. My 1994 transom had to be replaced in 2006. There is a video of one here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsTKBWEwp6s

Good luck,
-Scott

Marty grady 272

Reaction score
I agree. The 272 is the answer. I replaced my 2 strokes with 200 hp HPDI 2 strokes. Made a great difference on fuel and oil burn economy. Everything else meets your requirements. No mine is not foe sale, I love it to much.

fighterpilot

Reaction score
To get to a 1998 for the benefits noted I would push my budget. The longer hull and the wood rot resistant material would be worth it. So I need to look for the 272 made 1998 or later. My son-in-law has a 4 door, 4WD GMC truck that we can use for the hauling, as necessary, so believe we can cover that. Any suggestions as to how I might pin down the construction change in them??? Thanks

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Grady White customer service is fantastic, even for older boats. Try calling or sending them an email to ask when they started using Greenwood in Sailfish transoms. They can also send you towing and trailer information for this model. I concluded it was too much for my Ford Expedition and winter at a yacht club on blocks and stands.

When I was doing my search, I checked out a couple of 92-93 Sailfish with I/Os and they had bone dry transoms based on a moisture meter and hammer tests.

fighterpilot

Reaction score
I'll give Grady a call. Regarding the I/O, the set up makes maintenance a challenges for us. We leave the boat in brachish salt water all the time and just don't want to mess with the inboard engine and all the associated mechanisms with the outboard stuff. It is interesting that in that configuration the transom seems to fair better. If I were a good inboard motor mechanic it might be worth the challenge, but I don't do any motor mechanic work any more, unless it is to change the oil etc. I used to wrench it but now that I am 80 years old have more money than energy. LOL.

fighterpilot

Reaction score
Well, I searched out to $35,000 in an attempt to get the 1998 or later 272 to avoid the wood in the Eurotransom, By the time I throw in a trailer I have to "push" the 25,000 dollar budget too hard, so back to Gradys without the Eurotransom but still have a tuna door. A boat with the engines on something like an Armstrong extension or "swim platform" type extension with the tuna door would work. I know there is still wood but maybe not so likely to be a problem as it was in the Eurotransom. Are there some boats in the 25 to 26 foot range that would meet my criteria with the tuna door as a standard feature?? Thanks

fishbust

Reaction score
You do not need the newer model, just a preference for some.
They all have wood and my last boat was vintage 1983. It does not matter. What does matter is that it passes a survey and when you buy it, continue to protect the coring integrity when you do aftermarket installations by sealing very well, so the boat continues to survey well.

Some manufacturers, that no longer use wood, have people drinking the cool-aid from their advertising and getting folks to think that wood is bad. Wood is not bad.

A side note on the Parker....you do not want to be the one who has to replace a fuel tank on one of those.

fighterpilot

Reaction score
Fishbust your post is timely. I have done a quick search and realized the tuna door in the Gradys didn't seem to appear until the Eurotransom, so if I want a tuna door will have to work with the Eurotransom.
Your comment on the surveyor is understood and appreciated. I have owned 5 boats over the last 10 years and used a surveyor on all of them as well as a couple I didn't buy.

Your are right on regarding the fuel tank in the Parker. I have looked at 8 of them since last spring and believe that model, the 2520, that I was shopping is the worst boat of all as far as access to the "stuff" under the deck is concerned. They had wood rot problems up to 1992, in that they didn't encapsulate or even put resin on the underdeck cross members. Also, can't get a tuna transom so I have given them a pass.

Have been looking into Pursuits, Pro-Lines, Trophys, scouts, hydra-sports, as well as the Grady. The Grady seems to have the most features I am looking for so will press on with them. Thanks for all the help.