First boat/336 canyon

seasick

Reaction score
Two things come to mind immediately:
If this is really your first boat, it is a lot of boat and maybe more than you are ready to handle.
My second comment is about the motors. I, personally' wouldn't but 350s especially of that vintage. I feel that it is just asking for headaches.
You can search these boards as well as the internet in general for discussions about the 350 problems

Fishtales

Reaction score
My first was a 28'er so it can be done. It comes down to getting comfortable at the dock (low speed with current wind and others), in traffic and other busy places in my book. Actually may be easier on the open ocean.
I agree on the F350s, too many issues.

Chrisrcook

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 336
Okay, I've driven boats before, I'm not worried about it being too much boat as much as I'm worried about having a smaller boat that doesn't handle the sea's as well.

As for the motors, I've seen something along the lines of a flywheel replacement, If I get the compression test as well as the laptop test done on these your advising regardless to stay away from this boat?

Chrisrcook

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 336
Thanks for your input guys though really

seasick

Reaction score
I just don't feel comfortable with that motor.
As to the comment about Fishtales first boat being a 28 foot hull, I commend him but a 33 is still a jump from a 28 and really big jump from nothing:)
I guess if someone has experience on smaller hulls, that helps but I am not sure you know what you might be getting into.
Don't I sound like an old grump?

Chrisrcook

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 336
No you’re good, don’t sound like a grump. I was advised by my friends that I should go nothing lower than a 30 if I’m going to the Bahamas. Obviously the Grady 33 is bigger overall but it was the first boat I stepped on and felt like this is the one. And I went to the boat show before this and was on a lot of other boats.
But obviously the motor concern is a big one and now I’m double thinking

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have 2018 350's and wouldn't have any other motor. They are flat-out fabulous. I can't speak for the reliability of 2010 year engines, however. Before you turn down the boat, I would talk to a qualified Yamaha Tech and get an opinion from an expert who works on them.

MY 2018's need a flywheel replacement after the engine logs 80 hrs between the 3500-4300 RPM range. Yamaha performs the service free of charge and it costs you nothing for the life of the engine. I've already had one replaced and it's nothing. they do it in an hour or so; I time it to coincide with my oil changes.

Again, I must repeat, your engines may not be covered by the same warranty my 2018's are; heck they may have not fixed the problem back then, but it would be worth a conversation. I would certainly investigate the 350's, but would certainly not black-ball them until your convinced they would be a risky purchase. They are a dream to have, V8 torque and the extra HP made it a no-brainer for me to choose them over the 300's.

I didn't agree to the 350's on my Marlin until I talked with Yamaha techs and the Factory itself. They assured me the problem was fixed and I haven't looked back.

Jargon

Reaction score
Thinking about purchasing this as my first boat. Live in south East Florida https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2010-grady--white-336-canyon-7293959/
Please let me know your thoughts on this.
I myself, am looking at the same boat as a first boat also. Everything I’ve heard with regard to the 350’s are that Yamaha stands behind them and that they are very nice motors. As others have said, plenty to read on the issues. Also been told the boat is underpowered with 300’s, unless you have triples, and the ‘20 models are coming with the new 425’s, so take that for what it’s worth.

My plans to deal with ‘so much boat’ as a newbie includes taking several boating classes, as well as going out with experienced Captains. You can never get enough instruction.

I’ve done the same exact thing with motorcycles that ‘were too much bike’ and I’m still alive after 8 years in the saddle.

The boat looks great! Best of luck to you and show us pictures if you buy it.

Fishtales

Reaction score
If you like the boat, I say get the boat. You will figure it out and grow into it. Maybe won't have 2 foot-itis for a while. Good luck.