Fish finder ideas

Joe arrigo

Reaction score
I have a Garmin echo map 74. I want to add another unit Thanking I’m going with the Garman strikers 7. Thoughts!!!

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Look at Garmin 94sv at GPS City $750. I found mine for $699 on sale with GT-51TM. I really like mine, but transducer placement is critical. 9" was better for my old eyes.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Strikers are low watt units..250/300W?? I think...best for shallow water...bass boats They don't have good charts either.
edit: newer models are 500w

Looks like you are fishing coastal NJ. I'd stick with the Echo line (600W) or go bigger & better with GPSMap series (1kW)

If you ever want to add radar you'll need a GPSMap series

Reactions: JJMag

Joe arrigo

Reaction score
I’m going to look at ray marine and lowrance and some other brands because I already have a Garmin echo map 74cv looking to add something a little different but very relaxable

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I’m going to look at ray marine and lowrance and some other brands because I already have a Garmin echo map 74cv looking to add something a little different but very relaxable

The 74cv is a budget unit. It's reliable, but I would move up a series or look at Simrad. I have the 74dv and will be switching to a Garmin 942/Airmar so I can overlay radar down the road.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Got my eye on the Lowrance elite 9 ti2 with coastal maps loaded.
It has a 9” screen and side scan sonar. Look into it, it’s amazing.
right now the 9” is about $950 while the 7” is about $750.
I went to west marine to fiddle with the units they had and besides the obvious features I found this one really easy for “me” to understand and operate. I highlighted “me” because you need to take what you read, ads and advice and go operate the unit to see if you’ll be comfortable with it. That’s the most important thing. I have an old Faruno on my boat I still don’t fully know how operate. :rolleyes:
I’m waiting for the Black Friday sale weekend to see if I can save a little on it.
A20CF9D6-C329-4663-B47C-60F6B4F108C2.jpeg
C1E70829-9D30-41AE-8B76-7BB6C7AD0C52.jpeg

Last edited:

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Definitely go to West Marine (one that has all of the units, ie Woodbridge NJ) and test them out. I went thinking that I could live with any of the 4 but ultimately landed on the GO7 due to its UI. I found it to be very similar to a smart phone and it just clicked, very intuitive.

Plus, GO7 has no buttons so it’s face is much smaller and is radar capable. 2 of these side by side will take up less space.

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Definitely go to West Marine (one that has all of the units, ie Woodbridge NJ) and test them out. I went thinking that I could live with any of the 4 but ultimately landed on the GO7 due to its UI. I found it to be very similar to a smart phone and it just clicked, very intuitive.

Plus, GO7 has no buttons so it’s face is much smaller and is radar capable. 2 of these side by side will take up less space.

Also, the downside is that it has no buttons. :) Was fishing the humps in the Keys on a family members boat. Had to run into the weather to get home. It was hard keeping the screen dry. It started acting crazy and was unresponsive. Just food for thought. 99% of the time it isn't an issue until... It's an issue.

They need a weather setting on all the new touch screens. Lol

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Lol....

Funny you say that as I liked the Garmin because of its shortcut menu buttons on the side. Some customer at WM told me the touch screens work great even when your hands are wet or the screen gets wet. I found that hard to believe based on experiences with my iPhone but took his word for it.

Guess I have an excuse to go to WM and test out the Lowrance and Garmin again!

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Lol....

Funny you say that as I liked the Garmin because of its shortcut menu buttons on the side. Some customer at WM told me the touch screens work great even when your hands are wet or the screen gets wet. I found that hard to believe based on experiences with my iPhone but took his word for it.

Guess I have an excuse to go to WM and test out the Lowrance and Garmin again!

This was more than wet hands and I know the tech is changing. Just something to consider or ask more questions. I believe the GPSstore has a forum on THT.

Reactions: Blaugrana

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have both touchscreens and buttons, touchscreens can be very difficult when it’s rough even when dry.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The UI on the Simrad hooked me for the same reason, which looks to be identical to the Lowrance. I’m checking the Lowrancout again as there are some good prices on it.

Only dislike I have is I hate seeing the large brand name along the side. Something small at the top or bottom would suffice. Feels tacky...

Personally, I just want options so I can go after the best deal.

Joe arrigo

Reaction score
I am going to go to Woodbridge West Marine and check out a few different units and then make my choice

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Maybe I’ll see you there tomorrow! Hoping to get there in the AM before the game.

They have the 3 I was looking at and think the Lowrance is one row down and to the left of the GO7 ( Axiom is top row to the left, GO7 dead center, Echomap bottom right).

If I go before you, I can let you know.