Fishbox hindge support

guido

Reaction score
The support for the piston that holds the fishbox lid open has come out. It looks like the previous owner did not properly install the bolts that hold it to the inside wall of the fishbox. Anyway the holes are bigger than the bolt. Any suggestions on how best to repair and remount the support is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
JC

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Was it through bolted or just wood screwed? If the latter, drill out the holes and put machine screws, washers and nylon lock nuts on the back, all stainless steel of course. Sometimes a little 4200 or caulk or thread sealant on the screw will insure that it will never loosen on its own.
If it is not accessable behind to install the washers and nuts, you would need to fill the holes with a little fiberglass jelly (from the auto parts store), redrill and put some 4200 adhesive on the screws as well as the on the piston bracket mounting surface. This does wonders when mounting hardware.

guido

Reaction score
There is no access to the back, so I guess I will have to use the fiberglass jelly. Thanks for the advice.

John

guido

Reaction score
It appears that where the holes are drilled it is only 1/16 in. thick. Will this still work, it's kind of thin.

walt bowen

Reaction score
Guido,
Looks like mine had the same thing, and like had been said previously I think I would repair and redrill new holes. On my 01 263 which I have had 3 yrs. one fishbox has a small piece of starboard mounted and then the piston base mounted to this which was done real neat w/routered edges and all by Crocker's marine, but with me being so anal and all I myself would probably have gone for the fill and drill method which would look like new.

Walt Bowen
2001 263 Chase
w/200 hpdi's

Boats Rock

Reaction score
Make sure the screw head is flush, mine had the wrong type screw and when I replaced the piston the screw head scratched the body of the piston and that will lead to failure by rust.