Fisherman 180

Matt V

Reaction score
I have a 21 foot Carolina Skiff that is a good fun boat but is rough on my back in chop in the Peconic bay on Long Island. Considering a Grady White Fisherman 180 as opposed to the 20 foot. Do not plan on any offshore boating- mostly my wife and I in bays with some light fishing. Concerned if the 18 foot provides a good enough ride as opposed to the 20.

NHAngler

Reaction score
I have a 180 and can say that it rides better than 20-22' boats in other brands with bigger outboards, at least IMO and in boats that I have driven. I have been 40+ miles offshore with it and in the coastal waters of New England it is not bath water even on the calmest days. Fishes great with 2-3 and have done 4 doing some trolling in the lakes for trout/salmon.

Now, adding 2 feet for a better ride (another Grady)? ..of course I would expect it to be better but likely due to the same SeaV2 hull. I'm sure we would all own 30+' boats if we could but reasons for smaller or "right" size include multiple factors that are individual for each of us. I like to trailer my boats, live 1 hour away from the ocean and 1-4 hours from many awesome bigger lakes, mainly get out on the weekends, usually have 1-2 guests, and I pick my days and locations depending on the weather, guests, available time, etc. I'm also frugal with my $ so don't like dumping lots of cash into fuel. Hence boats under 23' with a single outboard would be all I ever consider. ..at least in this point in my life.

Currently looking to upgrade to a 20-22 but really hesitating due to enjoying my 180 for all that it is. Simple, easy & affordable to operate and maintain, and reliable.

Good luck!

Reactions: RussGW270