fitting outrigger bases for 265 express

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have just got my 265 and she must be one of the only ones without riggers.I have purchased Lee jnr bases and wondered if you guys have fitted any and wether they were bolted to the cabin sides.......if so what kind of backing plate or washer did you use. The lee instructions suggest screws if the sides are 1/4 " thick or more or have a wood core.I don't believe this would be the case with the 265? Thanks in anticipation.

Kenlahr

Reaction score
Your going to have to through bolt them with backing plates. I cannot imagine using just screws.

Tom-Lisa

Reaction score
Grady had a template that they e-mailed me for my marlin.It gave all dimensions and points to measure from positioning.Give them a call maybe they can do the same for the 265.

Tom

Tom-Lisa

Reaction score
Sorry,didn't finish last post before i sent it.
To answer your question,all the installs i've seen are all thru bolted.Some have starboard backers but most use large stainless fender washers for strength.

Tom

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Grady has templates they can send that will show where they mount the lee jr's. They should be through bolted to a backing plate. With the boat rocking you will need that, screws alone will not hold them for long and that is not an investment you want falling overboard. I double rig my lee jr's and have trolled up to 10 rods on that boat at a time, but 7-8 is a perfect size spread for offshore fishing. I know you plan to fish that boat a bit, I'd recommend using rupp knock-outs or aftco roller troller clips to eliminate chafing on your lines. They are worth the investment. I use the knock-outs and love them. That Aussie boat needs to get some blood on it already!!! Good luck with her.

Boats Rock

Reaction score
Mine are bolted with a 3/16 piece of aluminum plate as a bolster on the inside.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas.
I already had the grady template and will possibly use that, although it appears to put the wishbones a bit too near the bottom of the main tube. The Lee's instructions specifically say the wishbones should be located as close to the top of the main tube for support and strength, fishing and laid up.
I though by locating the main tube base plate on the gunnel with large self tappers I would then be able to get the wishbones a bit higher on the main tube..... I will through bolt the wishbone base plates and look at fitting backing plates as most of the leverage would appear to be applied to the wishbones....am i right?
I can't seem to work out the best location for the lay up hook?
Thanks Gradyfish for the rupp recomendation that is what i had purchased but had only used aftcos before.
I am fitting a navnet 10.5 screen and 1 kw thru hull as well.As she already has a furuno sounder and horizon plotter I though i would double up and put the navnet in the top box.Good to keep the crew motivated if they can see the sounder from the cockpit; and more sets of eyes to miss less.
I have previously wasted good fishing days with a faulty sounder and got fogged out with no GPS and caught behind several reefs in the same situ.We become so dependant on the electronics it feels like you're blind without the electronics.
I may fit a radar later any thoughts on the need for that .......I've never used one.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you are running offshore a bit I would not leave without a radar. Once you have one you will wonder why you never put one on before. If you run in the fog it is great, it allows you to run slightly more confident knowing you will not hit any ships or nearby boats. It can also pick up bouys or fish pots that may not be on a map. You can set the radar to alarm when boats or objects get within a set range, this lets you keep your eyes on the water in reduced visibility and alarms you when a potential object in your path is within a certain range of your boat. Once you learn to use it, you can tune it to pick up bird life if the fish you are targeting are surface feeding. Also, when I run offshore I will use it to scope out where boats are heading or fishing. It helps to waste time searching for an area to start. I also run at night a bit and it makes life a bit easier to have a radar. You do not need a high powered unit, but a radar nonetheless is a great thing to have.

BirdRock

Reaction score
gradyfish22 said:
If you are running offshore a bit I would not leave without a radar. Once you have one you will wonder why you never put one on before. If you run in the fog it is great, it allows you to run slightly more confident knowing you will not hit any ships or nearby boats. It can also pick up bouys or fish pots that may not be on a map. You can set the radar to alarm when boats or objects get within a set range, this lets you keep your eyes on the water in reduced visibility and alarms you when a potential object in your path is within a certain range of your boat. Once you learn to use it, you can tune it to pick up bird life if the fish you are targeting are surface feeding. Also, when I run offshore I will use it to scope out where boats are heading or fishing. It helps to waste time searching for an area to start. I also run at night a bit and it makes life a bit easier to have a radar. You do not need a high powered unit, but a radar nonetheless is a great thing to have.

Agree 100%. I haven't tried to locate bird schools with ours but I couldn't imagine running at night or in the fog without one. We were out lobster hooping the other night and coming back to port in the dark sure was nice with the radar to pick up any pots that were around.

Frank Mills

Reaction score
I mounted my wishbones on my 265 express using the Grady template and they work fine. One thing no one has mentioned -- use lock tite on the nuts so they will not work loose. I used washers, lock washers, and lock tite.

Oh yea... get the Radar.

Gary M

Reaction score
jekyl said:
I though i would double up and put the navnet in the top box.

I may fit a radar later any thoughts on the need for that .......I've never used one.

I'd put some serious thought into mounting the Navnet down below. I had that choice last year and am SO glad that it is mounted right in my line of site. Also, if it's mounted up top, you'll find yourself always having to hop up to punch buttons and fine tune your display. I can lean forward and reach mine from the helm seat. My Furuno 582 FF is mounted alongside for easy viewing as well. The things that you need to "see" should be where you can easily see them...........

Here's mine in a photo shot from the helm seat. That's a flock of birds at 1 o'clock and just under 1/2 mile over in the Abacos, Bahamas last summer. We got a few tunas from under those birds! I have a 6KW, open array antenna (NavNet 1944C model). I HIGHLY Rec that if you get a radar, spring for the extra $$ and get an open array antenna.

Abaco2007017.jpg

Radar is GREAT for: Collision avoidance, storms, birds, low visibilty situations, etc. You can "overlay" the radar returns (storms) over the chartplotter which helps you to decide on a course of action when the weather turns to crap......

As far as the riggers go, metal backing plates, through bolt, etc. I mounted some Lee's gunnel mounts last summer.......