Fixing a gunnel mounted rod holder?

Green Mountain Grady

Reaction score
Hey all, a question for everyone. I used a rod holder mounted SUP rack. The rack feet slip into the rod holder and you tighten an expansion piece that grabs onto the inside of the rod holder. Last summer one of them spun and pulled the plastic liner up about a 1/2" above the lip of the rod holder. Is there a way to take the rod holder apart and slip the plastic liner/ sleeve back into place? Any tips would be appreciated!

Fishtales

Reaction score
Had something like this in a past life....
I'm thinking you have to work the liner out first. If you can get it out tie it with a some light weight string and get it to collapse on itself a little so the OD is less than the rod holder. Spray the outside with some hair spay (to lock it in) and while wet, position into place. Cut top string to allow the top to expand and do the same for the bottom. The string stays in but the think lock into place.

Reactions: Meanwhile

GWL139

Reaction score
Website
www.jerseycapeyachtsales.com
Model
Gulfstream
I think you're all overthinking this basic problem and are making a mountain out of a molehill. Pull the liner all the way out, coat the outside with dish soap as a lubricant, then just push it back into the tube.

Fishtales

Reaction score
if that works, have at it. just offering an idea.

Green Mountain Grady

Reaction score
Thanks all for the ideas. Finally got the boat out of storage and I'm trying every which way and the liner isn't budging. I think I'm going to go the path of least resistance and trim the liner with a utility knife. That at least relieves the issue of someone getting a free proctology exam if they sit without looking! The outside polished chrome plate is stamped Miami with a leaping fish over it. Not sure if it's original but it's got to be 20+ years old and the liner is stiff.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Warm the liner up slowly with a hair dryer or heat gun. Be patient because you need to get it warm top to bottom without melting the top portion. When it is hot to the touch full length, push a long screwdriver down between the liner and the rod holder and force the wall of the liner toward the far side, collapsing the diameter. Lift the liner out, push it back into shape, align the slope angle properly and shove it back down.