Floor Repair

Protek9543

Reaction score
1981 204C. Has anyone documented the repair process of the carpeted floor area at the helm? Possibly w/ pics. The whole area is soft and has to be replaced.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I would not recommend carpeting the new piece, just fiberglass a piece of marine grade ply. Carpet will hold water and mold and will just advance the roting process. Also, if you fish the boat, carpet will hold the fishy smell. Unless the whole cockpit is carpeted and you are trying to restore it that way, I would not recommend carpet. A fiberglass deck is the way to go if you are going to put the work in.

Protek9543

Reaction score
There will not be any carpet going back in (carpet is for bass boats). Is the floor in this area one piece?

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure on your boat, but most grady's have a center floor board by the helm and the sides are glassed with the cabin. Usually it is the piece of wood that supports this area that gets soft. If you can get the carpet off, there should be one of those round inspection plates that you can open and you can probably feel it if is the wood support that is rotted.