Florida "Save the Reef" pump out

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I tried everywhere in the area to find a place to pump out. No one has public access. They take care of their own boats. Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World has public access but has a cheap pump and it's broken.

All the talk about "Save the Reef" and people are forced to dump holding tanks in the ocean and more likely illegally inshore. The harder you make it for people to comply the less likely it is that they will.

My holding tank pump out problem is back. Probably a bad impeller. Fix that later today. Pump it into a 5-gallon bucket and dump in the toilet at the house.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
What about getting a guest slip for a night at a marina? I realize it’s not exactly what you’re looking for but an overnight guest slip typically isn’t that expensive and would allow you to use their services

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
don't fuel docks have pumpout down there?
Not really. Since Floridians don't typically live there anymore it's filled with weekly rentals. They stick it to the out of towners.

I stayed at a place run by Canucks and they charged per/min to wash the boat down. It's not the Keys I grew up with.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Yes. The service is called MPOOP - Marina Pump out program. At least they have a sense of humor. Vessels that are anchored or moored for more than 10-days must register and comply. The service can be done for other boaters but it is not paid for by the State. I talked to the operator and he said it's $55. They will do it in your slip but you don't know when they come to do it on a particular day.

Bass Pro in Islamorada is the only place (broken pump out) in Islamorada and wishing 15 miles on me. Coral Bay has one but it's only for their customers.

MPOOP MARINA PUMPOUT PROGRAM​

Monroe County Marina Pump-Out Outfitting Program (MPOOP)​

There are nearly 500 marine facilities throughout the Florida Keys with hundreds of liveaboard vessels at these locations. However, less than 30 percent of these facilities have pump-out equipment available. Monroe County has adopted policies to increase the availability of pump-out facilities in order to reduce pollutant discharges to protect our nearshore waters.

Proof of Pump-Out Regulations​

Vessels anchored or moored for more than ten consecutive days, and which are required to have a marine sanitation device in accordance with F.S. § 327.53, must provide proof of pump-out.

Vessel owners may utilize a pump-out service provided by any authorized vessel pump-out facility or vendor. This can include the mobile pump-out service or locations such as public or private marinas, mobile pump-out trucks, and/or RV park dump stations.

Vessel owners are required to maintain documentation (ie. receipt or monthly sticker) and pump out logs to demonstrate the use of pump-out.

Pumping out beyond the boundaries of the No-Discharge Zone may also be considered proof of pump-out if substantiated with sufficient GPS data and pump out logs.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Sad. Up here each harbor has free pump services so people don't overboard discharge. Very short sighted IMHO as most folks are going to go out and dump if they are not provided.

Reactions: Meanwhile

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Fixed my pump, pulled a few 5-gallon buckets out and dumped in the house toilet. YUK! The things I do to save the planet and the reef!

Fishtales

Reaction score
Yea. Hopefully others are as good. I seriously doubt it. There should be a bill raised in the legislature that requires free pump outs to be avail in every harbor IMHO.

Reactions: ElyseM