flush mount electronics solutions for a 223?

suzukidave

Reaction score
what have people done that works?

i am trying to figure out how to redo the electronics locker/box just above the helm on my 223

right now i have a stereo and vhf flush mounted inside the locker in a custom box set back into the locker about 6" that takes up 2/3 of the locker. to access the vhf or stereo i have to open the factory lexan locker door. this has not worked well in the past as the little factory spring that keeps it open was torn out of the fibreglass when i got the boat and there was a little wooden prop instead that broke the first time i ran the boat.

i'd like to flush mount a plotter/finder and the vhf on the outside of the locker door without losing all the storage space behind and keeping the stereo inside (which i don't use often).

my current working idea is to remove the factory door and split the opening 50/50 with two hinged starboard doors, each with either a flush mounted vhf or a flush mounted finder installed with lots of cable slack.

inside i will have the stereo mounted in a setback box, a place to charge electronics and some storage.

has anyone done this or something similar?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Will the door swing up enough for (1) the depth of the electronic piece to clear the bottom edge of the door opening? (2) IF it does clear, I'm not sure how you would be able to reach in there all that easily since the electronic piece will be hanging there in your way?

It might work if you made the doors swing open like cupboards - hinged on the port and starboard side.

Could you just replace that spring? Those springs, while not exactly hi-tech, often last quite a long time. Maybe the previous owner just didn't know how to fix it properly. There's also different types of 'door propers'.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've done a flush mount on both my 223 and 225.....the electronics will likely hit the bottom of the opening when you try to flip it up. Additionally, you will need to leave plenty of slack in your wiring, or be creative in how you fasten the wiring so that it doesn't bind or pull, but also doesn't get in the way of whatever you are putting in the e-box.

If you decide to leave the door on, I've got an extra spring in the garage that you are welcome to.

Here is a pic of the starboard panel I made which replaced the plexi door. I used the glovebox and tackle trays for storage.

suzukidave

Reaction score
parthery has my layout. i thought the starboard reinforcement at the original hinge mount point on top of the opening was a repair on mine but his looks the same.

closet doors will not open with the compass in the way, and i had not thought about the thickness of the plotter catching the bottom.

i guess i could do a fixed panel with the plotter then a 33% opening hatch with the vhf/stereo inside.

i will look to see if i could cut a usable hatch access from the centre passageway wall..

suzukidave

Reaction score
found this in another recent thread that i'd forgotten. so a flushmount hinge is theoretically possible

IMG_2138.JPG

IMG_2137.JPG

zimm

Reaction score
I left the hinges on. In my case I can't fully lift the door. Plus it puts a lot of strain on the wires. Best off re-thinking the "glovebox" part of that. Can you access the box from the cabin like on a 226/228? I can put stuff in there if I need to, but I don't. It would make for a nice place to hide valuables unless the thief wants the electronics!

I'm a big fan of black starboard, cuts down on the glare. I had flmarine plastics make mine.

suzukidave

Reaction score
it looks good zimm. not the same layout for me.

in the 223 the electronics locker is sealed off from the main starboard console locker. the e-locker floor is basically the "ceiling" of the big storage locker. i could cut out that ceiling so i could eliminate the e-locker and then access the electronics from behind. i would not gain any useful space if i did that.

the only way to access the e-locker other than the front door would be to cut a hatch in from the central passage way and access it from the side.