Fog outboard yes/no

Father's Day

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
Hello Everyone
Another question getting mixed reviews, just wondering what you think. I always fogged my outboard when my boat was pulled and blocked at marina. This year we had a few freezing nights and they turned the water off. With no water i cant run my motor to properly fog it, most are telling me not to worry. Pulling my boat Friday and going back in April 1st

Byram

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
if you cant trailer it to a water source, take out each spark plug and shoot a little fogging oil into each cylinder

Reactions: PointedRose

Father's Day

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
Yes thanks that's what I'll do

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The answer can depend on the type of motor you have.

But, if the boat is in the water like you say, then fog while it's in the water on the trailer?

Father's Day

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
The answer can depend on the type of motor you have.

But, if the boat is in the water like you say, then fog while it's in the water on the trailer?
150 merc efi Don't have a trailer, i run it around to the lift, marina pulls it and puts in on stands for the winter. Our marina is green so i can't fog it in the water

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
OK, so EFI can determine how you would normally fog since that's different than direct injected. But since you can't do it in the water, direct into the cylinders is all you can do and that's what I'd do, as well. Put the plugs back in, flip the kill switch and turn it over a a few times. Hopefully you have added a good fuel stabilizer long enough ago so the injectors are protected?

Father's Day

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
OK, so EFI can determine how you would normally fog since that's different than direct injected. But since you can't do it in the water, direct into the cylinders is all you can do and that's what I'd do, as well. Put the plugs back in, flip the kill switch and turn it over a a few times. Hopefully you have added a good fuel stabilizer long enough ago so the injectors are protected?
Actually I add stay -bil every time I fill up
Thanks again

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I live in the Smoky Mountains of North Carolina. It gets cold here. I may be in the wrong or just ignorant in regards to these matters. This is my 15th winter and I have yet to fog any of my outboard motors. I have had F150,F25 ,3.3 liter F250 and now 4.2 F250. Every spring they start right up. I tilt the motors fully down in the fall before the first freeze and drain out all the water .

That's the extent of my winterizing. I have never had any mechanical issues,making oil or anything like that as a result of not fogging . With that said , maybe I am doing some damage I am not aware of but my F150 had over 1,200 hours on it before I sold the boat and my 3.3 had around 1,000 hours on it before I repowered and they both ran great.

Reactions: Carlo2888

Father's Day

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
I live in the Smoky Mountains of North Carolina. It gets cold here. I may be in the wrong or just ignorant in regards to these matters. This is my 15th winter and I have yet to fog any of my outboard motors. I have had F150,F25 ,3.3 liter F250 and now 4.2 F250. Every spring they start right up. I tilt the motors fully down in the fall before the first freeze and drain out all the water .

That's the extent of my winterizing. I have never had any mechanical issues,making oil or anything like that as a result of not fogging . With that said , maybe I am doing some damage I am not aware of but my F150 had over 1,200 hours on it before I sold the boat and my 3.3 had around 1,000 hours on it before I repowered and they both ran great.
Yes that's why I the originally asked the question because of guys like you, telling me the exact same thing.I think I'll just squirt a little fog in there can't hurt
Thanks and be safe

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Yes that's why I the originally asked the question because of guys like you, telling me the exact same thing.I think I'll just squirt a little fog in there can't hurt
Thanks and be safe
I have F250s and spray a little fogging oil in cylinders and turn key a click or two and then spray and put spark plugs back in. Never a problem!

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330

Are you anywhere near Cashiers? We have some friends there that we visit each year. Beautiful place!

Rustygaff

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
I bought our Freedom 7 years ago with a bit over 100 hours on it. My fogging procedure is to pull the plugs and spray some fogging oil into each cylinder. Bump the starter, spray some more and then button it up. No issues so far. My boat also sits from Nov 1 to early April. Not sure, but even the minimal that I do may be overkill. I honestly do not believe that these big 4 strokes sitting on a trailer for a few months really need supplemental lubrication.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The reason it's recommended is to cut down on possible corrosion to the interior, bare metal areas of the engine/combustion chamber. While it's certainly not a "life and death" thing, it's one of those "best practice" things. Meaning, it can only help to use it. But using the stabilizer is very important as that last little drip on the end of the injector can't gum it up.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Are you anywhere near Cashiers? We have some friends there that we visit each year. Beautiful place!
I live in Cullowhee, down the mountain about 20 minutes north of Cashiers.

Thanks for the tips on the benefits of fogging.

nuclear

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer

It might get cold, but your avg. temp. in the winter is still above freezing. Obviously it's worked out just fine for you, but further North I wouldn't push it.

Father's Day

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
I have F250s and spray a little fogging oil in cylinders and turn key a click or two and then spray and put spark plugs back in. Never a problem!
thanks