Folding or removable trailer tongue

Greg B

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
After measuring the garage, I will need to heavily modify the trailer if I buy a Sportsman 180 to get it in the garage. I am going to have to shorten the tongue and then add a folder coupler as well. Has anyone done this?
Thanks
Greg

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Greg: Rayside Tuck and Trailer said they could do it on a trailer we bought from them some years ago. Wound up moving the dryer instead, but it did not look all that complicated or expensive to do. Rayside is in West Palm Beach on Military Trail.

Rob

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
Greg B said:
After measuring the garage, I will need to heavily modify the trailer if I buy a Sportsman 180 to get it in the garage. I am going to have to shorten the tongue and then add a folder coupler as well. Has anyone done this?
Thanks
Greg
My new Eagle trailer came with a folding tongue standard. They are in Homer, Mich.

bc282

Reaction score
can be done to most trailers (not large HD trailer, but most tandem and single axle duty units). As it is relatively new thing, parts are probably not overly abundant, but should be available over internet or special order. You can have the "folding flange and hinge" welded or bolted on to the steel tube. Just be sure to do a good job on the wires and allow for stretch if run inside the steel center member, may not be a bad idea to put some split loop to protect the wires too.

Not too difficult once you have the parts and easier and cheaper than modifying your garage :wink:

Greg B

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Looked at a new Sportsman 180 and Tournament 185 yesterday and was promised by the dealer they could modify a trailer to work as they have done so in the past.

Amigo

Reaction score
I saw them a few weeks ago in a local boat store. Kit was about $75.00. You will need to know your tongue's cross dimensions.

I would think that sawing off your tongue would be about as painful as drilling a hole in your bottom.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Greg B said:
Looked at a new Sportsman 180 and Tournament 185 yesterday and was promised by the dealer they could modify a trailer to work as they have done so in the past.

In the mid '90s Grady offered a folding grabrail/windscreen option on the Spirit 175 (same console as current 180, I believe) just for garage storage. If you need to do something similar, I would think Grady could supply you with photos or a sketch.

I went with a wide trailer in which the hull sat low, between the tires/fenders rather than above them.

Rob

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Greg B said:

Get it done at the factory...that way if there is an issue, etc...later on you have some warranty recourse.

Float-On (down your way in Vero) offers the folding tongue as an option. Expect to pay somewhere in the neigborhood of $250 for it.

Greg B

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Parthery said:
Greg B said:

Get it done at the factory...that way if there is an issue, etc...later on you have some warranty recourse.

Float-On (down your way in Vero) offers the folding tongue as an option. Expect to pay somewhere in the neigborhood of $250 for it.

Thanks, dealer carries Float-On and assured me they could get it in a standard garage.