fresh water not working

jcacchio

Reaction score
I have a 2002 Gulfstream. The fresh water is not working. I have filled the water tank. The pump turns on, but I barely get a drip in the sink and out of the hose in the stern. Any suggestions?

seasick

Reaction score
jcacchio said:
I have a 2002 Gulfstream. The fresh water is not working. I have filled the water tank. The pump turns on, but I barely get a drip in the sink and out of the hose in the stern. Any suggestions?
See if you have a filter (screen) . you probably do and they often get clogged with 'growth' that forms in the water tank. One trick to clean the tank is to put a hose in the filler and just keep filling even after it starts to overflow. At some point you will probably see the gunk flowing out. If you do you can be pretty certain that it's in the filter also.
Now locating the filter is another story but it will be somewhere in between the tank pickup and the pump.
If the algae is your problem, in the future you can add a small amount of bleach to the tank, perhaps a half ounce per ten gallons. That will slow down the growth but don't drink the water:)

Sharkbait282

Reaction score
I had a similar issue when I commissioned this spring. First you need a really quiet boat and a full water tank.

IF when you first turn the pressure water system switch on, the pump comes on and stays on, you either have a disconnected hose, the hot water purge valve is open, a faucet is open, or you have another leak in the system. The pump running continuously with all valves closed indicates a water leak . . . the system is trying to pressurize, but doesn't.

IF when you turn the pressure water system switch on, the pump runs momentarily and then stops, your system has pressurized. If you're still just getting a small amount of water out of individual fixtures, then I'd check the screens in the individual fixtures, as well as the screen ahead of the pressure pump in your bilge.

When I started the system in the spring I had forgotten that we opened the hot water tank relief valve to blow the air out of all of the lines. So we ended up with a clean bilge until I figured it out!

Best of luck!

Bob.

Peahead

Reaction score
As seasick has mentioned I'd suggest checking strainer/filter for your pump. I had the exact same issue and it was the flat metal disk screen inside the clear plastic strainer housing that screws right onto the pump intake. I just unscrew the water hose (black butterfly nut ) then unscrew filter housing. The filter housing then opens up to expose the filter, with a 1/4 turn - simple. That little screen disk gets completely clogged with algae slime as long as there is algae particles still floating around in the water tank. It will clog amazingly fast as well depending on how much algae build up there is in your tank. As mentioned by seasick too , I just turned on a water hose and just let my water tank over fill spilling onto the deck for 20 min. to get rid of most of loose algae. I also learned from an RV site to put a bunch of crushed ice into tank and run boat around for a bit as the ice will scub the inside of tank. Once it melts empty and then add some bleach and water....rinse that a few times after....and then should be good.

Attached photo shows my pump with the clear plastic strainer/filter housing attached. On my 228G Seafarer I can reach through a inspection hatch ( below helm companion seat) and access my pump and unscrew the filter housing off pump in seconds to clean filter ( without having to remove the whole pump and bring it out)

Attachments

• IMG_0008res.jpg
    IMG_0008res.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 1,307

seasick

Reaction score
Peahead
Never heard the trick with the ice! Thanks for that tidbit.

jcacchio

Reaction score
All,
Thanks for the advice. I will check things out this weekend.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I agree sounds like a clogged filter. I have gotten in the habit of flushing my tank good in the fall before I winterize and again in the spring to flush out the antifreeze. I have also been adding a small amount of bleach in with the water too when I fill it. I have not had a problem since. If your tank has a lot of growth you may want to fill it with water bleach mix, let it sit overnight then flush out well.