Fridge facts

Ozz043

Reaction score
Hello All
I'm wondering if you guys leave the fridge on all the time, or just turn it when in use...I'm wondering what's better for the fridge...any comments would be appreciated.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
My fridge is always on when at the dock plugged and into shore power. Most day trips I leave it on, and has yet to run the battery down. If we overnight off the dock then I will shut it off to conserve power.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I do the same. If I didn't have it on a dock with shore power, I'd be inclined to pull it out and replace with additional storage. Really not that practical w/o shore power IMHO.

1998sailfish

Reaction score
Fishtales said:
I do the same. If I didn't have it on a dock with shore power, I'd be inclined to pull it out and replace with additional storage. Really not that practical w/o shore power IMHO.

Ditto

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
It depends on how you use it. We use our fridge all the time (in our Sea Ray) as we stay out for long weekends (no genny so it's running on 12V when away from shore power). Heck, we even use it if we're just out for the day. But I wouldn't turn it on and then off and then on again. If you turn it on, leave it on until you're completely finished with it and won't need it for at least another day or two. On the other hand, if you're in a slip (you didn't mention slip/trailer or boat) and like to leave food in the fridge during the week, then of course leave it running on shore power. Many, many people with cruisers leave the fridges on all season - just like you do at home.

The fridge in my Sea Ray really doesn't pull much juice - especially if you stock it up good and limit the times that you open the door. I once went 3 days and nights with just one, group 27 DC battery - engine only ran for a total of about an hour that whole weekend. We used cabin/cockpit lights at night, Vaccuflush toilet, some stereo and of course the anchor light all night long... along with the fridge the whole time. Still had plenty of juice to start the engine for the trip home on the last day.

Ozz043

Reaction score
Thanks guys
I guess leaving it on makes sense... I've been turning it on a day before heading out, then turning it off when leaving the boat. I wasn't sure how the charger would be affected by it ... Also not sure I need it on when i might not use the boat for a week or two...

jip40

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
My boat is in a slip with shore power. I go down to the boat about once a month and stay from 7-10 days.

I leave the fridge on full time & run on dc power when I leave the dock. When I leave to return home, I take all perishable food out and fill it with the drinks that were in the cooler. When I return to the boat there's always a couple of cold beers waiting for me.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Boat the boat in March 2002. Dry stored until Oct 2002, then in a slip with power available.

Refrigerator turned on in Oct 2002, and ran continuously until early 2014. Only off when boat on the hard for a few days for bottom painting every other year. Original fridge finally died and replaced with a new one.

Soda and beer in there all the time.

Brian

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
leave mine on all the time at the dock. If I am Tuna fishing anchored and using a live well I will switch it off but it stay cold all day. Other than that I will shut it down once or twice to defrost.