Fuel consumption and weight of a sailfish

panhdjoe

Reaction score
Hello New to list, I am considering buying a 25 or 27 Sailfish, They are for sale in droves on several sites. My wife and I are interested in cruising the intercostal and I like the accommodations and layout. I am wondering what the fuel consumption would be running dual 2 cycle outboards. I would be happy cursing at about 12mph. Does any one know how much fuel one would burn? and what speeds would be most effecint.
Also how much would one weigh on an aluminum trailer. I am also wondering If I have enough truck to pull it.
Thanks Joe

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
Sailfish

Hello Joe! My 254 Sailfish weighs in at around 5500 pounds without fuel and all the other stuff. Mine has the I/O 350 Mercruiser. I believe one with twin outboards would be a little heavier. Wanting to know what to pull one with always stirs up a lot of different opinions. I have a galvanized trailer and tow my boat fully loaded with a 1/2 ton truck. Your fuel burn at the speed you mention should be minimal. 8) Based on Marty's reply about the narrower power band of the two strokes you might consider the I/O power option. My 350 is happy at any rpm from idle (600 rpm) to full throttle(5000 rpm) and is quite happy to run 12 to 16 hours without being shutdown. 8)

Marty grady 272

Reaction score
I have had a 25 foot Sail Fish with twin 175 hp Johnsons motors. At cruising speed on plane I was getting 1.2 mpg. Sold the 25 and got a 27 foot Sail Fish with twin Yahama OX66 motors. At 4000 rpm cruising I was getting 1.1 mpg. I then replaced the 2 strokes with twin Yamaha HPDI 200 hp motors. Wtih the HPDI motors I have been getting 1.8 to 1.9 mpg at cruise and the HPDI motors give me 6 mph more speed at the same cruising rpms. From what I have been told outboard motors like to run at higher rpm than 12 mph will require. You might have to run on only one motor at a timeto get the engine into the power band rpm for proper cooling and efficiency, and alternate motors to even out the run time. As to weight and towing, I can't help you as I don't tow my boat.

Pez Vela

Reaction score
2 stroke Sailfish

You will indeed be "cursing" if attempting to cruise at 12 knots with that rig. There could be no worse speed for fuel economy and running attitude. You will have to slow it down to 7 or 8 knots, or speed it up to at least 16-18 knots minimum to keep it on plane. Run efficiently, you will get .9 to 1.2 NMPG. Your fuel load will greatly effect your fuel efficiency.

Fully loaded with 198 gallons of fuel and 30 gallons of water, aluminum tower, normal onboard gear and so forth, my total rig, including 10,000# rated steel trailer, weighed-in at 9,600#'s on the truck scale. It's a great boat, but you must have realistic expectations.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You'll see just above 1 MPG with older 2 strokes cruising at 12. At idle the older 2 strokes suck down the gas, maybe 1.2 MPG (this is the area 4 strokes shine). On plane I can see 1.8-1.9 on flat seas and about 1.5 on the Ocean, but on a rough day maybe 1.

panhdjoe

Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone. I think a 25 sailfish may be the boat for us, we will just have to suck it up at the fuel dock. Some late 80,s models are for sale here in the Carolinas that have later motors. Now i need to actually get on one. and check it out. So far I have only looked at pictures and read specs. Aha a Grady has always been my dream boat!

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Joe, look at Brian's (gw204) '93 Sailfish (for sale) in the classifieds. So well cared for, and so many upgrades makes this boat worth serious consideration.

Pez Vela

Reaction score
Must you necessarily rule out 4 stroke motors? If not, you may be able to justify purchasing an older Sailfish which has been re-powered, particularly if your cruising itineraries will involve substantial distances. I jumped up to 1.8 NMPG overall with my F150's re-power. There are other, well documented benefits to these engines as well. If possible, seatrial each version before you buy. Either way, congratulations on your decision.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The 80's Sailfish can get by with 150's but the 90's need 175-200's. At 150 HP you have many options if you choose 4 stroke but only Zuke makes 175's. There are many opinions about V6 4 strokes on the older hulls since they weigh a lot more than the V6 2 strokes. The new Yami 225's look like they might be a good fit but you have to get the approal of your insurance company to go over the rated HP.

panhdjoe

Reaction score
I wish I could afford 4 strokes. I have not seen any for sale In my poor mans price range. I am a mechanic so I don't fear older engines. so I can probable get along with 200 Yams which is what many of the boats have

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The older motors smoke more and drink more but if well maintained will see 2K hours.