fuel filler vent

dorados

Reaction score
AM not able to fuel my 2007 Gulfstream. Think the vent is not working properly. It is the type that is vented thru the filler, not on the side of the hull. How can this be cleaned

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Follow the vent line down to the tank and look for low spots (dips). If there are, pick up the line to empty the fuel that is trapped in the line back to the tank and then re-secure the line in a better way. I'm not sure how that vent comes apart, but if there are no dips then I would take the vent line off at the tank and use some compressed air to blow through.

seasick

Reaction score
dorados said:
AM not able to fuel my 2007 Gulfstream. Think the vent is not working properly. It is the type that is vented thru the filler, not on the side of the hull. How can this be cleaned

It is difficult to identify where the issue is but a few things can be checked. First of all ,if the vent is indeed blocked, the motor may starve for fuel and the primer bulb will collapse. Since you didn't report that, I will assume you don't have starvation issues. That might mean that the vent is working but it could be restricted since the air flow on filling is greater than from the motor using fuel.
Open the access plate where the hose connections are made to the tank and unscrew the clamps on the vent hose ( the smaller one). Remove the hose from the tank and blow air into the hose to see if it is clear. Try with the fuel cap off since the vent actually vents through the cap itself. it is also possible there there is a restriction the fuel fill hose itself, such as a collapsing inside liner. That will be difficult to determine but removing the hose at the tank and trying to look inside may reveal a bad hose. Your hoses are not all that old in the scheme of things and I wouldn't expect internal deterioration though. Be very careful using an air test if there is a way that the air can blow into the tank. Very small pressures in the tank result is large forces.
As mentioned, a poorly run vent hose that has a low spot or loop than can fill with fuel can cause backflow issues.
Good luck.