Fuel tank project is complete

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Finally finished my fuel tank install and hose replacement. All new hoses on both fuel tanks and water tank. All hoses are double clamped with new SS clamps on all the fuel connections. Now to get a warm and dry day to caulk the panels back down. Been in the low 40's and rain off and on all day.
20190420_190640.jpg20190420_190658.jpg20190420_195158.jpg

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Some would caution against the brass fitting in the aluminum pickup fitting.
Brass is much better than S/S on aluminum and note that KY sprayed it as well. The other thing is you shouldn't be getting salt water up there .
Looks a very neat job KY, I like your work looks like you are very fussy you even changed the water hose .

LongIslandGulfstream

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
When screwing it down a nice trick is to use some strips of 1/2" pvc board behind the edge to give the screws some bite.

Agreed. I just learned the hard way after having my deck recored and trying to install it only to be cursing myself as half of the screws just spun in place. It seems like a ridiculously poor idea by Grady for the construction of the floor where the deck attaches as it is so so thin. This is on a 98 gulfstream.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Brass is much better than S/S on aluminum and note that KY sprayed it as well. The other thing is you shouldn't be getting salt water up there .
Looks a very neat job KY, I like your work looks like you are very fussy you even changed the water hose .

Bronze is better, brass not so much. the zinc in the brass will corrode( also depends on the composition of the brass).
They do make an aluminum hose fitting just for that purpose. The anti-siphon valve fittings are aluminum too.

CJ7Rob

Reaction score
In your 2nd pic, does your deck plate sit right above the sender or fill hose? My tank was done 3 yrs ago and the deck plate is above the fill hose and at an angle to the sender. Wondering if I gotta take the whole hatch off to replace the sender.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
In your 2nd pic, does your deck plate sit right above the sender or fill hose? My tank was done 3 yrs ago and the deck plate is above the fill hose and at an angle to the sender. Wondering if I gotta take the whole hatch off to replace the sender.

Both of my deck plates are positioned above the sender.
20190421_095056.jpg20190421_095118.jpg

seasick

Reaction score
Using two clamps on fuel lines is preferred as you have done. When using two clamps, they should be installed in opposite directions and with the screws not aligned with each other.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Using two clamps on fuel lines is preferred as you have done. When using two clamps, they should be installed in opposite directions and with the screws not aligned with each other.

Again, after 16 years of working fine from the factory, I installed my new clamps the same, except for one that was opposite and I may turn it around just so they are all the same.
If you look closely, I added an extra clamp to each the vent and fuel line that the factory did not do, which has worked fine for 16 years but I wanted the extra clamp for my peace of mind, and that's just what you do on fuel lines.

Pic of original tank and clamps.
20181104_123209.jpg

Reactions: Heyspike

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Awesome job! Let's just say when KY visited my home a few weeks back I was embarrassed about my boat. My boat is in a shed under cover but I don't shrink wrap it or cover it for the winter. My cats git their muddy paws all over the boat. There were leaves in the cockpit and a stain line from last summer. My boat was DIRTY and just a mess.

I have known John for a few years and I could tell he keeps his boat ship shape. He keeps her in a climate controlled warehouse in the winter! When I showed him my boat , I was ashamed. The good news is it cleans up.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Awesome job! Let's just say when KY visited my home a few weeks back I was embarrassed about my boat. My boat is in a shed under cover but I don't shrink wrap it or cover it for the winter. My cats git their muddy paws all over the boat. There were leaves in the cockpit and a stain line from last summer. My boat was DIRTY and just a mess.

I have known John for a few years and I could tell he keeps his boat ship shape. He keeps her in a climate controlled warehouse in the winter! When I showed him my boat , I was ashamed. The good news is it cleans up.

I thought nothing of it being dirty. After officially meeting you in person, you have a full plate and burn the candle at both ends as well as the middle. I commend you, doing what you do for your family. The boat will wash.

Wish I had mine stored at home like you, but the warehouse works for now. Maybe someday I'll build a garage here at home, but it will be expensive as it has to match the house per HOA rules. Hard to beat $50 a month in the warehouse.

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

UCPA111

Reaction score
Looks great and looks like what I did as well. Even though it's "hidden" I like things neat, organized, and correct.

UCPA111

Reaction score
Agreed. I just learned the hard way after having my deck recored and trying to install it only to be cursing myself as half of the screws just spun in place. It seems like a ridiculously poor idea by Grady for the construction of the floor where the deck attaches as it is so so thin. This is on a 98 gulfstream.

When I had my tank out, I epoxied in an aluminum angle under the lip. That gave me the bite I needed. Drilled and tapped!

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Bronze is better, brass not so much. the zinc in the brass will corrode( also depends on the composition of the brass).

I agree but I think you will find the factory fitting is bronze. On my old boat all through hull fittings were bronze. Stainless steel may look better on my new boat but will corrode in time especially if the boat is kept in salt water all the time.
In KY's case the fitting will outlast the boat I think.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Very nice, KY! I wanted to spend time on my boat this weekend... unfortunately, my home network decided to be a problem instead. Ate up my ENTIRE weekend... still not working well...

I shall, as always, live vicariously through your hard work :p

Russ

Fishtales

Reaction score
Looks great. Did you consider liquid tape on the wire connections as belt and suspenders?