g2 250 on a seavee2 223 tournament?

suzukidave

Reaction score
hi folks. any thoughts on this set up? seafarer owners feel free to chime in since it is the same hull as the tournament. could i turn a 19" prop?

i have a1995 223 tournament with the original ocean pro 200 on the back running a 17" prop. it is fine for me power wise although a bit like an old cadillac off the line and so very thirsty. i am not a top speed demon but do have a penchant for burning gas to get somewhere quicker.

i can get a deal on 3 year old g2 250 with 500 hours. initially i thought no, not needed, but looking at the cruising economy it seems pretty comparable to a g1 200 which i would probably buy at close to the price of this g2. it might even be more economical if it turns a 19" prop.

Lite Tackle

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
455lbs for the Ocean Pro, 537lbs for the ETEC. Move the batteries and weight at transom would be the same. But mileage and performance would be greatly improved. No more exhaust fumes either.

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
How much is the g2?

fuel savings, where does that put u at till u break even on new purchase. Also, when g2’s break they cost a lot more to fix the a carb’d ole omc.

Lite Tackle

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
How much is the g2?

fuel savings, where does that put u at till u break even on new purchase. Also, when g2’s break they cost a lot more to fix the a carb’d ole omc.
I can’t help from thinking “break” may be the key word here. He has a 25 year old motor on the back of his boat and an opportunity to put a three year old motor on it. Would you prefer to drive a 25 year old car through the desert with your family with no cell reception or a three year old car? Would break even on the purchase cross your mind? There comes a point in time when a motors reliability degrades. It is after all a mechanical device.

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Whoah lol I wasn’t comparing to driving my family thru a desert with no cell service lol. The original poster said he was fine with his power but economically if it could turn a 19 pitch wheel it may be worth it.

and tbh I would much rather drive a 25 year old carbed omc then a three year old 500 hour brp g2.

also the g2 has a lower gear ratio but more power along with weighing more. I’d say you would probably keep the 17” wheel. Then again if your going to be putting a newer motor on fine tuning it with the correct prop is just as essential.

Lite Tackle

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Whoah lol I wasn’t comparing to driving my family thru a desert with no cell service lol. The original poster said he was fine with his power but economically if it could turn a 19 pitch wheel it may be worth it.

and tbh I would much rather drive a 25 year old carbed omc then a three year old 500 hour brp g2.

also the g2 has a lower gear ratio but more power along with weighing more. I’d say you would probably keep the 17” wheel. Then again if your going to be putting a newer motor on fine tuning it with the correct prop is just as essential.
Sorry if my post came across wrong. I just meant at some point a motor just wears out and/or becomes unreliable. I, personally would not trust a 25yo motor (unless I owned it from new) where I boat. At that time it’s not about a fuel mileage calculation to determine if it’s worth it to make a change. If 25 years is not the cutoff for replacement, is it 30? Or do we just keep running it until it leaves us stranded with no way to fix it? I guess if you don’t have the resources to make a swap, the mindset has to be different. Any motor can leave you stranded but I have to believe a new motor will be more reliable.

I don’t know much about the G2. I do see negative reviews but can find those on most motors. Owed a G1 and was very pleased.

suzukidave

Reaction score
funnily enough i ran the original 1985 johnson 120 on my tournament 19 until i sold the boat last year. that engine ran like new when i sold it and was well suited to the boat and not as thirsty as a v6. the 200 runs fine but needs some cosmetic help and is very thirsty.

last year i restored a 14' runabout as a family cabin boat and put a newer honda 40 on it. i enjoy how civilized that motor is, and also the 12mpg fuel consumption. it got me thinking whether i wanted to do another decade with a looper or get all fancy. on the fuel cost recovery basis i don't do enough hours to make it worthwhile but i think i can make back the difference on resale.

the thing i have learned is an old looper on the back is a net negative for the boat if i ever went to sell it. i had trouble selling the tournament 19 for that reason. the boat was in really nice shape, trailered from birth,
, low hours, , no bottom paint, and was well under market. i got multiple annoying tire kickers who could only comprehend putting a brand new motor on it and felt the combined price for that was too high. the age of the motor also seemed to bring home to people the age of the hull. i watched a couple of tournaments with 20 year old yamahas sell for a fair bit more while i had it listed and even considered buying an old hpdi just to sell it until i got a buyer who actually maintained his own boat.