Garmin 741 / 70dv Fuel Management?

gradywhite248

Reaction score
Please help me with a few questions.
I'm in the process of looking at either the Garmin 741 or 70dv? the one issue I see is basically the 741 has options for the NMEA 2000 information and radar so they are basically the same. other than the great charting and fish finding abilities of each I would really like to add the NMEA 2000 information for the engine fuel flow (741). so that being said here are my two questions.

Does the fuel flow information show on either of these units? and if so will it calculate gallons used. When out on the boat with the family these are two of my biggest concerned. as we all know the fuel quantity indication units are really not that reliable.

I have a Grady Voyager 248 with a single Yamaha xo-66 250.
Thanks

suzukidave

Reaction score
if you buy a garmin fuel flow meter and an nmea kit to add on the 741 it will monitor fuel. you theoretically should be able to use the lowrance fuel meters also since nmea 2000 is a standard.

if you have room in your dash for a guage i would consider getting a floscan stand alone fuel meter and gauge instead. the floscan meter is considered more accurate and robust and you don't have the possible problem of losing memory of fuel consumption when disconnected from power which some nmea fishfinder units have.

the standalone fuel meter dash gauge systems have a digital subgauge like an odometer with a simple running tally of fuel consumed in gallons since the last fill up. each time you fill it with gas you reset this gauge to 0. with the fishfinders you get this plus if you input tank size it gives you a virtual fuel gauge as well. i don't think that adds very much.

Another Distraction

Reaction score
Gradywhite248,

I have twin 740s Garmins in my Marlin and I just ordered the fuel flow units for it. Call Garmin at 1800 800 1020 to get your questions answered.

I also own a 1/4 plate aluminum boat with a Lowrance 400 gauge / fuel flow meter but the 741 will be better because it knows your speed to calculate more data.

Lastly, if you're only running one motor you may not need a nema kit but ask Garmin. I believe you'll have an empty port on the 741 to plug one fuel flow sensor into. Much easier. Twin motors need nema.

Either way you go once you have fuel flow data you won't regret it. It shows GPH, gallons used, gallons left....and more.

suzukidave

Reaction score
that's true. you get instant mpg with an nmea unit.

SouthPass

Reaction score
I have the older version of the garmin fuel mgt system connected to my Garmin 4208 and it works great. I have a Gulfstream with two fuel tanks and twin Evinrudes. The information stays in the GPS regardless of main battery power off, just like Way Points remain in memory. The limitation is keeping up with the number of gallons used on main tank prior to switching to aux. tank. I can only track total gallons on board, however very accurate with flow rates and consumption. A great feature for Garmin and really helps with finding the sweet spot on RPM/GPH while running. 8)