Garmin 8212 MFD

fellinger

Reaction score
Are any of your running a Garmin 8212 MFD? I know they're being discontinued (Garmin usually supports for at least 7 years after) and are now at an unbelievable price of $1500 or less! I currently run a 7610xsv and was thinking of adding the MFD because they are fully compatible via Garmin network.

If you have one, particularly networked to another please give me your opinion on it.

Also, does anyone know if this unit can be flush mounted in the glove box on a 95 272 Sailfish? I have my 7610 there now but would rather flush the 12 and bail mount the 10.

Thanks!

rpc

Reaction score
Check out Marine Electronics Forum on The Hull Truth site. There are a number of post on that unit.

seasick

Reaction score
fellinger said:
Are any of your running a Garmin 8212 MFD? I know they're being discontinued (Garmin usually supports for at least 7 years after) and are now at an unbelievable price of $1500 or less! I currently run a 7610xsv and was thinking of adding the MFD because they are fully compatible via Garmin network.

If you have one, particularly networked to another please give me your opinion on it.

Also, does anyone know if this unit can be flush mounted in the glove box on a 95 272 Sailfish? I have my 7610 there now but would rather flush the 12 and bail mount the 10.

Thanks!

"Support" is an interesting word. I don't know exactly what the support time frame is but when firmware updates stop, in my mind so does support. There is a Garmin service that will replace a defective unit out of warranty and discontinued by exchanging it for another refurbished unit but the cost is a flat rate that can be expensive for simple problems like a broken connector pin.

If you have really outdated electronics, buying a newer discontinued model will be a big improvement but if you like to stay near the leading edge, buying discontinued can be a problem. The products change very quickly and within 6 months of buying a new unit, it may be 'outdated'. They are like cell phones:)

fellinger

Reaction score
seasick said:
fellinger said:

Thanks!

"Support" is an interesting word. I don't know exactly what the support time frame is but when firmware updates stop, in my mind so does support. There is a Garmin service that will replace a defective unit out of warranty and discontinued by exchanging it for another refurbished unit but the cost is a flat rate that can be expensive for simple problems like a broken connector pin.

If you have really outdated electronics, buying a newer discontinued model will be a big improvement but if you like to stay near the leading edge, buying discontinued can be a problem. The products change very quickly and within 6 months of buying a new unit, it may be 'outdated'. They are like cell phones:)

I know exactly what you mean and it is a good point. The 8212 is being used a display and backup GPS in case of failure by my 7610. The majority of the "technology" that I am relying on is in my 7610. From what I can tell the 8212 was released in 2013. It was priced at over $4,000. So, at $1,300 for a larger second display that networks with my current and a cheaper option it is a no brainer for me.

seasick

Reaction score
fellinger said:
seasick said:
fellinger said:

Thanks!

Agreed. Let us know how it works out
I know exactly what you mean and it is a good point. The 8212 is being used a display and backup GPS in case of failure by my 7610. The majority of the "technology" that I am relying on is in my 7610. From what I can tell the 8212 was released in 2013. It was priced at over $4,000. So, at $1,300 for a larger second display that networks with my current and a cheaper option it is a no brainer for me.

fellinger

Reaction score
I got the 8212 in the mail the other day from BOE Marine. It is a beautiful looking piece of equipment. I am stoked to get it hooked-up and setup to interface with SMARTMODE settings. Unfortunately I won't be able to flush mount it in either the glovebox or radio compartment. I may have a local fiberglass guy give me a price to widen and make my glovebox area slightly higher to accommodate flush mounting both units. I think it can be done relatively easily and cheap. I would need to have it be 'kicked' in towards the helm on the port side to increase the viewable area but, I think it would look bad ass. Until then it will be gimble mounted where my much older backup unit is on the dash.