Garmin 8612xsv upgrade

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Well it's time to upgrade the 4210 at the helm. I did the overhead unit earlier this year. Starting to rework the starboard panel and shopping for my best deal on a 8612xsv. Nobody is discounting and so far West Marine's points (4%) or triple points (12%) sale weekends Dec 17th appears to be my best deal.

Update: Ordered ship to store today. Pickup Dec17th, pay for the unit ($3,999) and get $480 in West Rewards coupons.

4210c.jpg

Last edited:

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had a 8612xsv installed in my Marlin in January, you got a deal compared to what I paid!

rockpool

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
Tripple points are fun - I ordered a 8616, a radar and some other stuff, now I have 99 $10 certificates to spend.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
West store told me Dec 17th thru Dec 20th will be triple points. If you are a customer you will get a email. You need to be a Member to get 4% and Gold Member to get12% on triple points weekends. Kinda a inside thing and its difficult to time product you want in store. Helps to be friendly with your local store people.

rockpool

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
Order it online during triple points weekend, then you can pick up from store at your convenience.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Order it online during triple points weekend, then you can pick up from store at your convenience.
That may not work. Ship to store orders only authorize the card - not charge it - until it you pickup in the store. Then they will bill your card and give you your points. If the dates work you get you triple points. You must time the "purchase" and "pickup" with the triple points event.

From my West order email...

Pickup & Payment
The credit card you used has only been validated. You will be required to complete payment in store with a physical credit card. Stores cannot accept virtual credit cards at this time.
Gift Cards & West Advantage Certificates can be applied at the time of pickup.

I suppose it may work to order something that they have in stock but in my case the item wasn't and ships from manufacturer.

Last edited:

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Nice they gave you the heads up. They have done that for me before.
I seem to remember a web site order that got triple points where they advertised X3 points on the website and they applied when I picked it up.
Possibly it shipped from their stock? IDK but I have to think up a possible shopping list for Dec.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Nice they gave you the heads up. They have done that for me before.
I seem to remember a web site order that got triple points where they advertised X3 points on the website and they applied when I picked it up.
Possibly it shipped from their stock? IDK but I have to think up a possible shopping list for Dec.

Last week when I tried to order a 8612xsv the item was "not available" on the web site. 8610xsv no problem but 8612xsv a problem. I called West and was told it was a special order and could only be shipped directly to me and that store pickup was not an option. It would bill immediately. This completely screwed up the triple points deal.

Last Friday before wrapping up I checked West's web site and the 8612xsv appeared in my search! So I ordered it ship to store. Arrival Nov 30th to Dec 15th. I then printed out the order and wen to my local West store. They took a copy and filed it with the ship to store orders and told me they would call when it arrived. They would hold it until Dec 17th, bill my card, get my points and go home with the unit. Perfect!

I expect that anything that is in their computer would qualify for triple point - online or in store that weekend but you may have to have it shipped to you to get the triple points.

The triple points are only done a few weekends a year. I only found out by accident last 4th of July. I didn't buy anything but decide that this would be my best deal on a expensive Garmin unit. They do send the email notice out but its only a 4-day thing. In this case Dec 17th thru Dec 20th. The stores have it on their sale schedule but its not advertised much in advance. You really have to watch for it or ask someone in your local store.

rockpool

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
That may not work. Ship to store orders only authorize the card - not charge it - until it you pickup in the store. Then they will bill your card and give you your points. If the dates work you get you triple points. You must time the "purchase" and "pickup" with the triple points event.

From my West order email...

Pickup & Payment
The credit card you used has only been validated. You will be required to complete payment in store with a physical credit card. Stores cannot accept virtual credit cards at this time.
Gift Cards & West Advantage Certificates can be applied at the time of pickup.

I suppose it may work to order something that they have in stock but in my case the item wasn't and ships from manufacturer.
I worried about the same, but west marine customer service confirmed I would still get the triple points for ordering on the right day, and I did. Now I need to print a telephone book of vouchers. ;-)

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I worried about the same, but west marine customer service confirmed I would still get the triple points for ordering on the right day, and I did. Now I need to print a telephone book of vouchers. ;-)
Actually, they finally started letting you use them right from their POS computer in the store. Don' t need to print.

Aquanut2

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I ordered a MinnKota 36v 87” shaft TM for my Marlin back in April from WM. During the summer 3x promo the store mngr let me pay for it to get the rewards which I’ve since used but latest update is trolling motor will not be here until Jan 22.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Wow! I hope my Garmin doesn't get hung up. Leaving for FL late January.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Not sure if you guys are interested in it or not but I just got another email from BOE Marine this morning about another Black Friday sale of theirs going on. They have a Garmin 1243xsv radar bundle going on right now that includes the Garmin Fantom 18 radar for $4,400... which it normally sells for $4,700, so $300 off. I'm slightly tempted to buy it but I also don't think that I need a 12" screen on my 228 Seafarer and I'd like to try and spend less than $3k or so, when all is said and done. I'm thinking my combo will be more like the 943xsv and the Fantom 18 radar, but with the 943xsv being newer, it doesn't ever seem like it's on sale. I used to go to West Marine all the time since they were matching prices of other competitors online but then they stopped doing that, at least at my local store, and didn't give out much incentive to shop there compared to online.

Last edited:

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
So the latest complication. West emailed me to tell me the 8612xsv is no longer available - discontinued. Garmin discontinued the 8600 series of chart plotters. I can still get a unit from stock but talk about buyer remorse...I'll be buying a unit at full list price that is already discontinued! West can't get it so there goes my triple points!

Can't find anything on Garmin US but I did find it discontinued on sever international sites.

Last edited:

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I was able to save the triple points! West has some 8612xsv units in a few stores scattered around. I was able to put one on hold and can pick it up on December 17th triple points weekend.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Agreed. It may be a supply chain problem where that are not taking orders at this time.

This is a direct quote from West Marine's email to me today:

"We are sorry, the following items have been cancelled from your order because they are no longer available. We apologize for any inconvenience."

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
They said exactly those words about my Seastar Tie bar after months waiting. (I was trying to use reward coupons). Then I ordered one on Amazon and had it in 3 days for less money.
West Marine has had a lot of supply problems. Even their electronics display in their big store looks like Walmart after Black Friday. its sad....

I see 8612xsv out there in stock...GPS Store...HodgesMarine.. both at list price $3999

Nobody is going to discount it because its Garmin latest model so I understand trying to get it triple points at West marine.