Garmin Fish Mapping by Sirius

Grady fun 5

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Just wondering if anyone has the new Garmin electronics with the serius fish mapping service, and if so how well does it work

paydaze77

Reaction score
bumping to the top.. im also curious if anyone has had any comments on it?

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
On my list for this winter in FL. The big rig I fish the WMO and MidAtlantic tournaments on just upgraded to all latest Furuno equipment including SIRIUS fishing weather. I'll let you know next week. We also have a full ROFFS service each year.

ROFFS actively analyzes every sat shot during the tournament season. They build a mosaic of all exposed ocean areas. Eddys are identified, direction and speed are noted, water color devined or ground truth, fishing reports factored in and daily analysis is delivered the night before. It's as good as it gets but it is static. We sat phone in several times a day to exchange information. They don't do weather.

In the past SIRIUS SST for NE canyons tracked ROFFS accurately. In fact we seemed to get accurate SST when ROFFS reported cloud coverage. No idea how because all services use the same satellites.

The water changes slower in NE canyons then in Florida straights. In the Florida keys the water will dramatically change through the day. Micro-eddy's come in bringing pockets of blue water onto the reef and disappear in a few hours. I have not tried SIRIUS in the keys yet but plan to. ROFFS analysis for one day in keys attached.

We use Buoy Weather, Fish Weather and NOAA. SIRIUS weather on the chart overlay. The first three for planning and SIRIUS for real-time on the water weather.

SIRIUS fish package is $100/month. Not that expensive for what you get. They allow you to suspend the service for your off season.

ROFFER'S OCEAN FISHING FORECASTING SERVICE, INC. TOLL FREE 800 677-7633 & (321) 723-5759 // EMAIL: FISH7@ROFFS.COM
ROFFS™ FISHERIES OCEANOGRAPHIC ANALYSIS FOR THE KEY LARGO TO SUGARLOAF KEY AREA (LAT./LONG.) UPDATED ON MON. 26 FEBRUARY 2018 FOR MON. P.M. & TUES. FISHING ONLY

Based on a multiple factor analysis, the symbols (hot spot spots) mark the areas where bait concentrations are expected and where fishing action is expected to be better compared with other (non-marked) areas. These are not based on dock rumors or hearsay fishing reports. Fishing reports are stated as such. You should start fishing where you recognize other signs of good fishing conditions near these marked areas. It is very important to use your sea surface temperature (sst°) gauge to locate the boundaries of the water masses, which are outlined. Rather than trying to find water based on the absolute temperature values shown on the map, search for the relative change in sst where the water mass boundaries occur. Arrows indicate the main current direction. Numbers inside of the dots indicate the number of consecutive days that we have seen favorable conditions in that location.

We were able to use today’s SST imagery and MODIS ocean color/chlorophyll imagery for this analysis area and were able to follow the oceanographic conditions for the past four days. Overall, we have observed two Gulf Stream eddy formations within this chart area. A relatively large eddy is located south of Marathon Key over 100-150 fathom depths (centered near 81°12’W & 24°27’N). This eddy is expected to be offshore of Islamorada by tomorrow morning. A second, smaller eddy is located offshore of Long Key over 20-50 fathom depths (centered near 80°47’W & 24°43’N). This eddy is expected to be offshore of Tavernier to Key Largo by tomorrow morning.

With this in mind, your better chances for sailfish fishing action are likely to occur in the east of this chart area. Heading out of Islamorada, begin fishing over the 10-20 fathom depths just offshore (near 80°35’W & 24°53’N) where favorable (77°F-78°F) water mass boundary conditions have been observed for four days. From here, work your way northeastward along the 20 fathom curve towards the Elbow (from near 80°22’W & 24°57’N to 80°17’W & 25°10’N) where similar favorable water mass boundary conditions have also been observed for four days. These conditions suggest good chances for fishing action to occur. Over 80-100 fathom good bottom offshore Islamorada (near 80°22’W & 24°49’N) favorable (78°F-79°F) water mass boundary conditions have been observed for three days, suggesting additional good chances for fishing action to occur.

Heading southwest of Islamorada, and south of Matecumbe Key, over 20-30 fathom depths (near 80°42’W & 24°46’N) favorable (77°F-78°F) water mass boundary conditions have been observed for three days. Southwest of Long Key over 15-30 fathom good bottom and wrecks (near 80°54’W & 24°42’N) and southeast of Marathon Key (near 80°58’W & 24°40’N) similar favorable water mass boundary conditions have been observed for three to four days. These conditions suggest good chances for fishing action to occur.

South of Marathon, over 100 fathom depths and good bottom (from near 81°08’W & 24°30’N to 81°18’W & 24°28’N) favorable (78°F-79°F) blue green to blue water mass boundary conditions have been observed for four days. Inshore, over 20 fathom depths (near 81°27’W & 24°32’N) favorable (77°F-78°F) green to blue green water mass boundary conditions have also been observed for four days. These conditions suggest good chances for fishing action to occur as well.

In the evening if you would like to discuss your ROFFS™ Fishing Oceanographic Analysis with an analyst after you receive it, then call our office by 5:00 PM eastern. Otherwise our fisheries oceanographic analysts are likely to be unreachable. Call anytime during the day and we will connect you with an analyst as time permits.

ROFFS™ Fall/ Winter Hours: Mon – Fri. 9 : 00 am – 5 :00 pm. We are now closed on Saturdays. Thank you for not sharing this analysis with non-paying fishermen. Remember you can order and/or purchase your fishing analyses from our website (http://www.roffs.com/) or by email (fish7@roffs.com). Verbal updates are free between 10: 30 AM and 11: 59 AM ( eastern time) only.

e ROFFS™ Graphic analysis is on the next page.

SK14L_20180226.jpg

Last edited:

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
google Rutgers SST. They publish free satelite water temp shots for the US East coast and GOM. Not detailed like ROFF's but shows the big eddies. In the summer the detail gets washed out because of daytime heating of surface.
Takes awhile to learn how to look at it.

Lets you know when an eddy moves into a canyon...hehehe..then I just look for big sportys because they paid for ROFF's and Sirius;):p

Screen Shot 2021-08-13 at 5.37.38 PM.png

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks for the info. Question? If you scroll down these thumbnail shots, some will be only a few minutes apart, between the right and left columns, but the colorization will dramatically different. Any explanation for that?
ie:
Aug. 14 from 12:25 to 12:35
Aug. 13 from 00:14 to 00:19

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
"Grady Fun 5" you didn't say what type of fishing you do. That will determine how useful SIRIUS will be. I can only speak for billftshing and a little tuna fishing in the North East canyons and out. So far I have not tested SIRIUS SST's in the Florida Keys (Rutgers was useless).

Rutgers is a great service and planning tool. We use it in our planning. Its useful for the big picture - watching eddies form and following their progression in and down. SIRIUS is similar except that you get the latest sat pass on the water and max sat SST resolution. These alone will not make you a better fisherman. You really need to know which way the big eddies and the filaments are moving, use movement and SIRIUS to project where they will be will be and your temp gauge to ground truth them. We supplement our data sources with ROFFS which makes a big difference but it is too expensive for small boat fishing. https://www.roffs.com/pre-paid-plans/

The best way to improve your catching is to develop your network of fishing friends. We are still trying to expand ours in Cape May. I find this especially true with tuna fishing. It's a big ocean and you need to find a way to eliminate water, pick sports with preferable conditions and work with other boats to test the spots out. Information older than a day or two isn't useful unless fish have been holding there for a long time. Tuna will stay put on structure. Billfish slide with the water as the water slides. Like pulling a table cloth.

Last edited:

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Thanks for the info. Question? If you scroll down these thumbnail shots, some will be only a few minutes apart, between the right and left columns, but the colorization will dramatically different. Any explanation for that?
ie:

Look at the color of the water coming out of the Chesapeake Bay and reference the scale. They are different colors but they are also both 26 degrees C. All of the the Rutgers sat shots are automated. Scale selection will depend of high and low temps in the "window". Geo referencing is automated too and not very good either.

Reactions: glacierbaze

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
ie:

they are just using a different scale. idk what causes their decision or if it is an automated scale based on how wide the range of data is from low to high

Thats what I meant by "you have to learn how to read them."

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
If you really want to get depressed about technological advantage one of your fishing competitors may have onboard read up on the Furuno Omni. Truly a game changing technology. All the weather and SST will get you in the area. This will let you "see" them.

Several of the top Cape May sport fishing boats have this system. This $150,000 sonar is becoming "common".

Quotes from one of the Captains were amazing. "I can see out a couple of hundred yards all around the boat while trolling." "I can pretty much tell you which fish will hit which line". "If I see 4 fish I'll run them over until I catch them all." These quotes are not out of an advertisement. This is from someone I know.

But the good news is that all the other marine electronics makers will follow suit and create systems that maybe don't go quite as far but be more affordable. So far I haven't quite figured out how to tell the Admiral I need a sonar that costs twice what I paid for the boat!

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I tried it last summer in the Keys and it gave me no useful information.
Rutgers is generally useless in the Keys. Too much cloud cover and poor resolution. Did you try SIRIUS fish weather SST’s? Problem is still you don’t know how the water is moving around.

Caburke1

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
To clarify, I took advantage of the introductory offer from Sirius XM and tried their full fishing package last summer. I wasn’t able to gather any useful information from it. I hoped the weed line location would be helpful but the information wasn’t even close to the conditions.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Yesterday in MidAtlantic tournament we fishe a couple of mile edge. ROFFS identified several converging small eddies. There was a 2 knot current that reversed several times. SIRIUS SST helped us find it but you needed ROFFS.

Effective in NE cantons but not sure if it will work in the Keys.

Caburke1

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
The good thing about Marine Sirius XM is that you can turn it on and off at any time. I typically have the radio account all year but only turn on the weather feature in the summer. They typically have an introductory offer on the fishing package that you can try for yourself without investing a lot of money if you already have Sirius XM radio capabilities on the boat.