Garmin Homeport vs Active Captain

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
One issue I have with Garmin is they do not have a good trip planner or waypoint manager. Homeport is a good product but it appears that they have stopped supporting it. MAC version stopped working a year ago. Windows version hasn’t been updated in a while.

The Active Captain product is a great product too but it doesn’t deal with sets of waypoints. Only runs on a tablet which is hard to do trip planning on.

With Homeport I manage a number of waypoint lists. NOAA Wrecks & Obstructions, my NJ waypoint list, my FL waypoint list, etc. When I head South or return I can dump off my trip and replace all the waypoints for my current location. This way I don’t have to scroll thru all NJ waypoints in FL. With Homeport I can plan trips to the Chesapeake or Outer Banks, load them when needed and unload them when I don’t.

Active Captain is a slick product In itself but doesn’t overlap Homeport. And the two products do not talk to each other.

Garmin needs to explain its strategy.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
been there...Garmin HomePort software not updated for 64bit MacOS

used a PC at work to do it last time. The main problem is that old Garmins used .adm file format but evrything uses .gpx now
If my crappy memory is correct, you can import .adm and export .gpx from Homeport.

Also, I have an InReach and have been using the Explore Map which can import/export .gpx
Every year its like learning it all over again. I have even experimented with using Google Maps for waypoint editing and also the old MS MapPoint.

I just got a 1242xsv that uses Active Captain so I'll be learning that.

I need to get a 12 pack of Yeungling, hook up my 1242 to a battery and start burning brain cells

PS...I'll share my NJ file when we're done

Last edited:

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have NOAA Wrecks & Obstructions for NJ. Downloaded, imported in Google Maps, Exported to Garmin format and imported. I can send that to you some day. I have G2 chips for large format NJ to Key West VUS512L and VUS513L. Unfortunately they won't fit in a new unit and Active Captain doesn't recognize them.

The 1242xsv will still accept HomePort data exported to a SD card but it has to be a micro-SD card and it installs in the back of the unit. Not convenient but workable in that I only swap waypoint collections twice a year. Biggier problem is what you and I experienced with Mac OS X and no 64-bit support. Windows is more forgiving but if Garmin is discontinuing HomePort it sucks!

Active Captain is flashy in that you can control the unit from your phone. Switch screens, start transmitting the radar, etc. It does make upgrading easier for newer units. Its not HomePort though.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
So Garmin got back to me yesterday with an "uninformed" response. The MAC version stopped working because the version is 32-bit and the latest OS X only supports 64-bit. Nothing to do with "firmware".

If HomePort is not being discontinued how come it doesn't work with g3 charts, the only charts that Garmin sells and ships with its current units?

I'm trying to get around the gatekeepers in Customer Support to get to Homeport's product manager.

Hello Frank,
Homeport is not being discontinued. When MAC updated their software a year or so ago MAC decided to stop supporting firmware updates for homeport which is why it is now only a windows app. We have no control over what MAC does so it is out of our hands. If you are having issues with Homeport please uninstall and then re install the app on your computer and this will assure you have the latest version installed on your PC.

Thank you for choosing Garmin,
Michael
Product Support
Garmin International

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I swapped messages with Gil of SeimperFi on The Hull Truth. He is a MAC user too. From what I gather HomePort is not going to be updated. It is being replaced by Active Captain. If you want to run HomePort on the MAC you could install Parallels and install an pre-Catalina version of OSX or Windows 10 in a virtual machine. Or just use a Windows 10 system. HomePort only supports g2 maps which are no longer available.

The good news is the new units that support Active Captain also have the same Manage Card functions the old units have. I have been able to transfer my HomePort waypoint sets to and from my 943xsv. My unit has two micro-SD card slots one of which had a 8gb card that is used for extra storage for downloaded maps, Active Captain and Quick Draw. I replaced mine with a 32gb card - doing it now instead of later when its filled up! Only pain is the card slots are on the back of the unit but you can buy extenders to put the slots somewhere else.

Garmin acquired Navionics in 2017. Garmin's current software suite of Express, Homeport, MapManager, MapInstall are all there to sell charts. Active Captain is Garmin's "future".

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I have a new 1242 and an old 4208.
This weekend I'm going to try getting my waypoints out of the 4208 (.adm file) and into Homeport on a PC laptop. Clean up waypoint names and such and then export them to a .gpx file to import into the 1242. I have done this before, putting them into an EchoMap94.
Look at page 61 of your 4210 manual.

I'm still not sure how Active Captain will help us with the 4200 series since it does not have wifi and doesn't support active captain.

I understand that wifi and active captain is the future . It makes sense . I don't fault them. The 4200 series is 10 years old. That is ancient in electronics terms. At some point you can't keep dummying down new stuff to keep old stuff compatible. ( even the idea of still using 32gb SD cards is like keeping one foot in the past)
Its a testament to how good it was that we still want to use it now.

page 62 of the 4200 series manual
Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 12.51.43 PM.png

page 64 of the 942/1242 manual. It does not give steps for transfer over Garmin Network but I assume you just choose the SD card in the other unit?
Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 12.59.37 PM.png

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Simplest thing to do is put a micro-SD card in a SD adaptor and install in 4208. Go to Manage Card, create a file of a name you like and Save To Card.

You can take that micro-SD card, plug it into your 1242, Go To Manage Card > Replace From Card.

Or you can take that SD card and import into a new HomePort Collection. This is what I do. You can edit the collection and save it back on the card with a different name. There is a way to put the collection on the SD card this way but I have to play with it. Then just plug the card into the 1242 and replace from card.

I don't know if the network transfer works between old and new units.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
You can take that micro-SD card, plug it into your 1242, Go To Manage Card > Replace From Card.
Or you can take that SD card and import into a new HomePort Collection. This is what I do. You can edit the collection and save it back on the card with a different name. There is a way to put the collection on the SD card this way but I have to play with it. Then just plug the card into the 1242 and replace from card.
That is what I do after renaming and fixing symbols in Homeport.
I don't know if the network transfer works between old and new units.
Just dawned on me that maybe I can skip Homeport altogether.
Go from 4208 to SD card to 1242. Then on 1242 use Active Captian to edit the waypoints and then go back to SD card to 4208

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I haven't tried to edit waypoints on Active Captain.

I have a old hard drive from my MAC that probably has all my HomePort stuff on it. I am getting ready for FL now and don't have the time to play with it - I'll do it when I get back.

I ordered a USB 3.0 hard disk case today. I should be able to boot my MacBook Pro with it. Checking dates it should be loaded with Mohave. Catalina shipped the following year. This is less invasive than putting the old hard drive in my computer. I'll give it a quick try this week.

Last edited:

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I think we have been overthinking this.
I just dumped my 4208 waypoints to a SD card and loaded them into the 1242(hooked to a portable "jump start" battery in my living room). Editing is a breeze with the touchscreen and menus. No need for Homeport or Active Captain.
Can dump back to SD card with a new file name and put in 4208

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I think we have been overthinking this.
I just dumped my 4208 waypoints to a SD card and loaded them into the 1242(hooked to a portable "jump start" battery in my living room). Editing is a breeze with the touchscreen and menus. No need for Homeport or Active Captain.
Can dump back to SD card with a new file name and put in 4208

Your situation is a little different than others I have talked to on The Hull Truth. They are MAC HomePort users managing multiple lists of waypoints for different reasons. With 300 waypoints for NJ and 300 waypoints for FL I don't want them in the machine at the same time. When I build my waypoints for an artificial reef its easier to do on my laptop in my living room. If I were taking my boat South on its own bottom I would want to build that route, use it for the trip and save it off.

I loaded Active Captain on an old iPad Mini that I had laying around. Editing waypoints on AC will be easier to do than standing in front of the 1242 when it is installed in the boat. You can also use Active Captain offline when you are not on the boat. Maps can be installed on the device. Has the ability to manage waypoint sets as .GPX files. You could simulate HomePort collection and lists this way. But HomePort does it so much better.

Now that I have used Active Captain on something bigger than an iPhone I'm actually impressed. Maybe Garmin will add HomePort's collection and list features at some point.

You have to figure out what works best for you and go with it!

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I used Homeport alot when I was building up spots. Its mostly in now so its just new spots I find or correcting a spot when I actually get on it.
I liked Homeport but I did find that the symbols did not always carry over to the 4208 ...so a "rock" symbol became a default small square...wasted a lot of time.

I'll play with Active Captain tonight on an iPad.

Dhirsh

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 336
I have 8600 series Garmins and over 4000 waypoints of the 5000 allowable. Went thru the whole set up process for Active Captain and it screwed up all my charts and views. Kept connecting to my phone with all sorts of faults. I had already uploaded the latest software via SD card. I finally gave up and uninstalled it. I also tried to link my inreach to the Garmin 8600’s and it wouldn’t take no matter what. Lotta hype for nothing in my opinion. I’ll just use them as I have them And update with the SD Cards. I’m reasonably tech savvy but this had me stumped. Side note if Garmin is listening. Its 2021 and most of the people who buy your products use apple daily. Better figure out how to play nice. No excuses.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Dhirsh - If you are comfortable with Windows 10 install HomePort on it and use it to manage your waypoint lists. So much easier and rock solid. MAC version won't work but that's ok.

4,000 waypoints is way too many to keep in a unit. The unit and HomePort will allow you to load/unload/swap area waypoints.

Use the "send collection/waypoints to device" which will create a micro-SD card you can load waypoints with. Active Captain can do the same but you have to work at it.

Garmin will make this better but don't hold your breath!