Gas Tank Maintenance

jasgator5220

Reaction score
Model
Advance
I have a 2004 257 and am curious what others do to maintain their aluminum gas tanks. My tank is original to the boat, with no obvious signs for concern . . . and I'd like to keep it that way. My manual simply provides that the fuel storage tank area needs to be rinsed w/ fresh water periodically . I imagine removing the access plates and spraying the tank down with fresh water/salt away checks this box. Anything else I should be considering? Thanks in advance

seasick

Reaction score
Rinsing every now and then (end of season, mid season) with fresh water is as you say recommended by Grady and is is a good practice. That said, if your tank has not been rinsed, after 14-15 years, starting now isn't going to make a whole lot of difference.
I would be willing to bet that most owners don't rinse the tank regularly.

Reactions: jasgator5220

three4one

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have a 2004 257 and am curious what others do to maintain their aluminum gas tanks. My tank is original to the boat, with no obvious signs for concern . . . and I'd like to keep it that way. My manual simply provides that the fuel storage tank area needs to be rinsed w/ fresh water periodically . I imagine removing the access plates and spraying the tank down with fresh water/salt away checks this box. Anything else I should be considering? Thanks in advance
I just did exactly that. I would suggest one enhancement. To make sure the bottoms of the tanks are rinsed plug the drain hole (temporarily) that allows water to drain from under the tanks. Your use of salt away is a good idea.

Fishtales

Reaction score
You'll probably never get the thing washed fully thru the inspection holes. More a placebo than anything else if you ask me. Once the boat gets older, raise the deck every 3 years and do a very good inspection still likely won't see what will get you on the underbelly.

Reactions: jasgator5220

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I bought my 2004 228 back in April of '17 from Tampa Florida. The boat had been a saltwater boat it's whole 13 years. Brought it home to Kentucky and proceeded to de-salt it as best I could. I pulled my floor panels out and washed and rinsed my tanks as best I could. For the most part, I was surprised that they were in pretty decent shape. Had a flange fail on my auxiliary tank this past year so have a new tank being built and will pick up in a couple of weeks.

Here's some before and after pics.
20170730_160656.jpg20170730_164535.jpg20181105_165525.jpg

Fishtales

Reaction score
Sux that they don't last that long.... I've not had a problem. Pulled the decks last year and inspected. Looked ok for what I could see. Looks like you did a good job.

jasgator5220

Reaction score
Model
Advance
I just did exactly that. I would suggest one enhancement. To make sure the bottoms of the tanks are rinsed plug the drain hole (temporarily) that allows water to drain from under the tanks. Your use of salt away is a good idea.
Good tip, I’ll try that

seasick

Reaction score
My year 208 (2001) does not have a removable deck cover:(. If you want to get to the tank, you have to cut the deck. The tank however is poly not aluminum and therefore doesn't have the same corrosion issues. I am not sure what model years don't have the removable deck panel.

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Poor design on these tanks. The use of carbon impregnated rubber is terrible. Manufacturer's used a great conductor to cushion the tank. All the damage will usually be around those areas.

Reactions: handinpalm

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
My year 208 (2001) does not have a removable deck cover:(. If you want to get to the tank, you have to cut the deck. The tank however is poly not aluminum and therefore doesn't have the same corrosion issues. I am not sure what model years don't have the removable deck panel.

My 1995 hull originally had an aluminum tank with removable deck cover. But, the hull was replaced under warranty in 1997 and came back from Grady with a poly tank and a solid deck. (It also grew a bow pulpit too. Grady goes above and beyond with their warranties. The original owner literally got a brand new boat made in 1997 that has the 1995 style cuddy cabin, since that designed had changed by 1997, with the original HIN stamped into it). So I may have the only 1995 model 208 with a solid deck, poly tank, and 1997 style badging on the sides of the hull and cuddy. That also means that on the 208 model, they switched from aluminum to poly tanks in either 1996 or 1997.

Last edited: