Gas tank senders

thepenman

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
‘08 330 express. Two gas tanks. Both senders are bad. Anyone know where to find replacements? Supposedly they are hard to find in the specific length I need.A0BC5DFF-2CF4-459F-9091-B522BDD9E116.jpeg

Attachments

• 1E98166D-4FC2-40E9-8888-228763A3B5E1.jpeg
    1E98166D-4FC2-40E9-8888-228763A3B5E1.jpeg
    820.5 KB · Views: 6

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You can call Grady customer relations, give them the year and model of your hull. They will email you a diagram of your 2 tanks. You can then take the depth of each tank, subtract 1" and order new senders and gaskets from WEMA/KUS

It's not difficult, providing you can get the existing senders out without hurdles. You might want to upgrade to the rubber gasket kit they sell vs.cork that comes with the new sender.

Or if you pull your sender first, just measure the depth through the openings in the tanks.

You want the "Liquid Level Sensors - SSS/SSL Diesel, Fuel or Water Level Sensor" 316 Stainless Steel

Click on the sensors tab on their webpage.

http://www.wemausa.com/

Last edited:

grady23

Reaction score
I second the WEM senders. I replaced my original senders with WEMA senders over 15 years ago and they are still fine.

thepenman

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Thanks so much. I’ll get the size from the mechanic tomorrow and order it. For whatever reason the mechanic I use couldn’t find it under the oem and doesn’t know to order it somewhere else. Happy turkey day

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I also use the WEMA after having 2 OEM senders fail. Has been working great for 5 years.

Replacing the sender can be tricky. While the 5 screw holes look evenly spaced, they are not. The sender only fits one way. Line up the holes carefully before putting in the first screw. And always clean the tank surface and use a new gasket.

seasick

Reaction score
I also use the WEMA after having 2 OEM senders fail. Has been working great for 5 years.

Replacing the sender can be tricky. While the 5 screw holes look evenly spaced, they are not. The sender only fits one way. Line up the holes carefully before putting in the first screw. And always clean the tank surface and use a new gasket.
And normally, no gasket cement. Don't over tighten the screws, that can distort the flange

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks so much. I’ll get the size from the mechanic tomorrow and order it. For whatever reason the mechanic I use couldn’t find it under the oem and doesn’t know to order it somewhere else. Happy turkey day
Most welcome.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'm sure you local dealer can assist as well. They probably see this issue often.

jjb232G

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I replaced my Gulfstream senders and gauge with WEMA as well, very happy. One thing I did do was but a HF pneumatic right angle drill for sender screw removal. Quite the pucker factor doing the job in the Spring on top of two full tanks!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
One thing I did do was but a HF pneumatic right angle drill for sender screw removal.
Overkill much? :) If it was too far tucked under to use a regular phillips (or stubby), a phillips bit for your ratchet would have worked very well, without the possibility of stripping. Of course, that's not to say that buying a new tool is a bad thing... which it NEVER is! :)

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
As stated earlier - it can be tricky to replace the sender with the hole in a right alignment. Trick I use, I draw a line on the sender from one of the holes right beside the electrical wire to the tank and then install the new one accordingly. It is amazing how the holes can look aligned but are actually off by a hair. It can cause big problems with stripping

Bayhouse

Reaction score
WEMA here as well. IIRC, they pretty much make custom length replacements.

I added a pair of N2K sensors, one for each tank, and now have fairly accurate tank readings on my Suzuki C10 (and Garmin MFD) gauges. I use these more for directional info and a reminder of which tank has gas if I haven't used her in a while.

thepenman

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
After waiting weeks for the mechanics to get me the lengths. I had to do it myself. A lot easier then I imagined. I got WEMA on the phone. They were extremely helpful in ordering the senders. Even added the connectors so I had to not splice wires. I finally have fuel in my tank. So says the gauges. Thanks so much for the assistance. New thread to start soon. New problems.

Reactions: Bread