Generator on an Islander 270??

dduflo

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience using a generator on an Islander? Wondering how and where you set it up. The purpose is to keep the batteries charged and to be able to use the Microwave and hot water heater. I'm thinking of the Honda EU2000i.
I'm in the exploratory phase and open to any suggestions.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My friend has one on his 265 express. He had a H onda generator that is removable. It straps to the bow and had a power chord that runs along the deck/walkway and then back to his chord power plug. Basically, the unit is removable and only put on the boat when planned to be used. Before you plan to buy a generator, you need to decide what items you will be running off it at one time, and figure out what your max load is. You want to be able to handle that load, otherwise a generator will not be effective and you can still kill your batteries with this setup. On an overnight trip to the canyon, the generator will burn 2 tanks of fuel, I think it is roughly 6 gal. He had his installed by his Grady dealer, Hobby Lobby Marine in NJ.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
We use a Honda EU2000 on an Islander 270.

Up forward, in the walkaround area just behind the anchor locker.

Heavy-duty extension cord down the stbd side, connected to the shore power inlet box, with a Marinco adapter. http://www.marinco.com/scpt/ProdPage.php?loadItem=83A_Marinco Shore Power#

We power up the Mermaid Marine Air 6,500-BTU A/C unit, plus the microwave and battery charger. Would have to shut down the A/C to run the hot water heater.

I installed a 1KW inverter so we can use the microwave underway, without a generator.

Brian