Generator water pump died on Memorial Day Wk End. No problem

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
The man I bought my boat from Last July had put a new Gen set in back in Sept 2016 Along with new Outboards. I used the Genny bringing the boat up to SC from Naples. It worked fine. I started it every now and the and put a load on it. It’s the gas Kohler 5EKD 5000. I don’t know if there was a leak in the system or the pump to allow salt water to get on the pulley. But due to rust, the pulls disintegrated when I started the Gen. Pretty bad for only 3 1/2 years. As many of you know. The water pump is awful to change. It’s on the bottom of the engine. There’s a blind 13mm nut behind the pulley. I ordered a new pump, but I wanted to use the boat and the AC this weekend.
I hooked up my spare Shurflo 5gpm Pro Blaster to a house battery with an in-line fuse right at the battery. I put a temporary switch by the control board on the Gen. Plumbed it up from the sea strainer thru a Shurfo 50 mesh strainer, thru the pump and to the inlet on the Gen. I called a Friend atNorthern Light to ask if I would damage anything. He said just to start the Gen before turning pump on. And turn the pump off before shutting down the Gen. That way I wouldn’t fill my cylinders with water.
It worked like a charm! The Pro Blaster got hot, but the thermal breaker in the motor never kicked off. I put a full load on the Gen. No problems.
Now this is just a temporary fix, but I’m going to leave it rigged as a back up. I’ll move the switch to the panel in the cabin, and put a 3 way bronze diverted valve Just before the intake on the Gen. AEF4E1E4-688E-4735-AFDA-6AF296F02BC9.jpeg8CC73DE9-7181-43C9-8BDD-632BC5E2C07A.jpeg

Reactions: Paul_A and HMBJack

HookUp

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Sorry for your troubles, but I see you're a man with a plan - Good on you