Genny Replacement Marlin

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I'm kindof sick of the amount of maintenance and babying I have to do for my 2007 FP Mini4+ generator. For a handful of reasons this thing requires the capsule to be removed WAY TOO OFTEN to replace relays, troubleshoot, etc... Not to mention how I have to dislocate my shoulder to access the impeller.

I've developed an overheat, probably a thermostat issue, but really I spend way too much time on fixing this compared to the benefit I get from it. I need a reliable genny like I have had on my other boats with Westerbeke and Onan.

So, has anyone swapped out the Genny on their Marlin? And what did you go with and how is it going now? Any tips?

I'm not opposed to a new FP if I could get some input from the group that the new models are more reliable than my Model Year Mini4+....

?

R

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
We used to visit the boat shows in the NYC or NJ area every year. When they started showing the Grady Whites with generators I said to myself, that looks like a pain in the neck to work on. Then in 2007 and 2008 when I was actively looking for a lightly used Marlin I noticed a few potential boats had generators. Based on what I read and heard at some of the boat shows, I decided not to consider boats with a generator. For our needs it made little sense, more weight, more maintenance, and higher upfront cost.

Sorry for my rambling, but the problems you face are exactly why I was skeptical of an on board generator. Instead, what we do is use a portable Honda EU2000 generator on the few overnight trips we do and about once a year we'll use the generator on a day trip. Simple, easy to use and service, powers what we need, use it when we lose power at home or my shop, etc. What I'm getting at is maybe your'e better off with an EU2000 instead of spending more time and money on your on board genny?

hinmo

Reaction score
T - any concerns about Co2 with the EU? I too have a non-generator Marlin and an EU2000. I have not tried the EU on the boat yet, but am planning to. Do you strap it to the "swim platform"?

Raven1708

Reaction score
Hello,
I am switching to the new honda EU2200i as well. The new model is a little stronger than the older 2000. I had a westerbeke that ended up being more problematic than it was worth and to replace is big $$. I am having a custom box made with a strap to hold it in place (similar setup to the bottom frame box and strap that holds town the batteries) at the door on the swim platform. Everyone does add some carbon monoxide detectors for safety. Just have to be careful if you are docked/anchored next to a bunch of other boats.

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Great input, fellas. I can't argue with your reasoning... I knew going in that the Genny (and everything it powered) were luxury items and most likely just one more system I'd have to maintain and deal with failure over time. But, it's a diesel engine and I've had nothing but great success with all my diesels, I have three girls who get cold, plus a regular 8 day trip into Canada away from it all makes it nice to have power. I just wish I could count on it.

I'll certainly consider ways that the reliable Honda gas genny could be incorporated to future trips. But I'm also interested if anyone has done anything else? I see there's another thread going about FP replacements, but nobody has yet to post about doing the replacement themselves and whether it was worth it.

My next call is to phone my trusty diesel mechanic for advice. I'll let you know what he recommends.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yes, I strap the Honda EU2000 to the swim platform. We have a CO detector in the cabin and have not had an issues. We typically use the genny on overnight trips to the canyons (few times a year) and leave the front hatch open to keep the cabin comfortable, never needed the A/C when offshore. Only time we used the A/C was at our dock or at a transient slip.

Again, for our needs the portable generator makes sense. I realize some people spend days or weeks overprinting on there boats. If I used our boat overnight all the time without shore power I would certainly consider a built in generator.

HMBJack

Reaction score
I have a FP diesel generator (4000 KW) in my 2006 330 Express. I agree, they are a pain to service - especially the impeller - but I couldn't imagine a boat without one. It doesn't take long to learn the steps necessary to diagnose and repair basic issues with the FP. And the FP Tech Support desk (in Florida) is excellent. Parts availability is good as well. Other brands of gensets are better I'm sure but Grady chose FP I think due to their very small size and quiet operation.

I would caution you on using the Honda generators due to the no odor carbon monoxide potential. GW switched from Gas to Diesel gensets for this important safety reason. I agree that you can't beat a Honda generator for use "as needed" but be aware - very aware - where the exhaust goes. Boats are like a 5 gallon bucket and with a shift in the wind or the station wagon effect, those odorless exhaust gases can find a way into the lowest part of your boat - like your cabin - which can be fatal of course.

Just expressing another opinion on this subject. That's all...

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
This may not be very helpful to the original question, but it is important to the lives of you, your family and friends. It's in regards to the use of portable generators. I know that there are people out there that say "I've been using it for "x" number of years and it's been fine". But there are also others, every year, that don't have the opportunity to report that "it's been fine" since they are no longer around. I'm copying and pasting this excerpt originally posted on another forum by one of the technical experts as it sums up the main, factual, points very well. If you (anyone reading this thread) are serious about health and safety concerns, PLEASE read through this whole post - don't just gloss over it and dismiss it because you don't want to "hear it" or "believe it". Education is the key. On a side note, I agree that keeping with a built-in, marine, diesel genny is a much safer option. Diesel engines do still emit CO, but it is a whole lot less than gas.

PORTABLE GENERATORS ON BOATS

Carbon Monoxide

Is simple to grasp, breathe it in a confined space and you don’t wake up. Permanently mounted marine generators have their exhausts plumbed to exit at or very near the waterline and away from closed occupied spaces.

Uncontained Fuel System Vents

The fuel systems on Honda and other portable generators are vented to the atmosphere and their carburetors have a bowl drain that releases fuel inside the generator case. That means where you run it, store it or put it under way will have gasoline fumes released in the area and if the bowl drain leaks, you have raw fuel spilled and an explosive liquid in the compartment with the generator.

Lack of ignition protection on electrical devices

The electrical components on portables are not ignition protected like marine generator electrical components are. This means you could easily have an arc or spark anytime contact opens or closes or whenever something is plugged in or disconnected.

Lack of Continuous Grounding

Portable generators pose an additional shock hazard since the portable is not grounded to the boat or to a shore side ground. Likely not a problem with a drill or power tool, but if you connect it to your boat's AC system, you have essentially disconnected the green wire.

The Honda iU series generators are inverters. An inverter drives both line and neutral so it is possible to have voltage between neutral and ground. With ground bonded the the boat's bonding system, which mean to the water, this means a shock hazard may exist that normally would not. Anyone who ignores all the above risks and insists on using a portable generator should use a very good, sensitive multi-meter to throughly prove out the electrical system. That the reverse polarity light is lit is clear indication of a potential problem.

The USCG governs only boat manufacturers and the manufacturers voluntarily subscribe to ABYC guidelines, so there is no "law" against using portable generators on boats. However, both the USCG and ABYC say using portable generators on boat is a bad idea and regularly caution boaters against it.

In spite of the fact that Honda’s advertising says that boating is a popular use of their generators, They have not addressed the grounding, gas fume and ignition protection issues and those risks do indeed exist.

If you are one of those who jumped on the CO train and the relatively few deaths attributed to CO, you are not fully considering all the risks of using portable generators on a boat. While accidents may be rare, you do substantially increase your risk of becoming a "statistic" when using a portable generator on a boat.......you put your family unnecessarily at risk when you do.

Last edited:
Reactions: HMBJack

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I suspect out on the swim platform a little gen set would be safe. the previous owner of my Marlin used this method.

GEOO

Reaction score
I have an 2007 33 Express, Replaced the Generator in 2014 with new FP. I also installed larger house battery bank and an inverter/charger. The inverter is great for microwave, coffee maker, any short term draw. I can run my freezer plates, AC, or hot water heater, one at a time and for only short periods of time. However if the motors are running I can run equipment much longer.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I think if mine goes, I'll hang it off the transom as well. If I bought a new boat, I'd do the same. I just don't use it enough to justify the cost, winterization and repairs.
To each his own...

Island Pilot

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Just a thought as I am in the same boat with my FP 4K diesel... Look at the Nextgen 3.5 kw ignition protected diesel. I think it will fit, is less than 7K new, and commercial guys are running these models for over 10k hours. It’s a little Kubada that spins at 2800 rpm. I spoke to the manufacture at great length this week and I am pretty sure I am going to go this route.

GEOO

Reaction score
I think the new FP has a Kubota motor too

Blempa47

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
... soo... i guess im a little naive... and im looking for a better power solution for overnight canyon trips on my non-genny marlin as well.... but i see a lot concerns with the exhaust of a small portable genny on the swim platform... im just curious as to what would be the difference between having a pair of 4 stroke engines idling to keep the batteries charged and electronics running or running a small portable power source out there...?