Good Bye to the Grady Family

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
Well after seven seasons I have sold my Grady 265 Express.

With the birth of my son in 2008 and my daughter is 2010 I find that I am using the boat less and less, and never for offshore.

This has been a truley amazing boat and I sold her locally to an owner who I am sure will take good care of her!

Boat1.jpg

I am considering purchasing a 21 Parker 2120 Sport Cabin as it will get me to all my local fishing spots while have a place for the kids to go to get out of the weather/sun if wanted.

Another thought is to just get a small 19-20' cc and trailer it when we want to go out.

Thanks

Tim

mboyatt

Reaction score
Sorry you had to sell the boat. I have 3 kids under the age of 8, so I understand where you are coming from. I purchased a 192 tournament for the lakes and the beach. The kids love it and it's easy to manage. You should consider another Grady! You can get a used 192 for a reasonable price. I give you 5 years tops and you will be in another Grady.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
You'll be back. In a few years your kids will want to go offshore and fish with their daddy!

eppem

Reaction score
Lots of proud 265 and ex 265 owners on this site. Tim and I met because we both own 265s. See you at the next offshore nite and stay in touch bud!

EPPE

Bill_N

Reaction score
Get a 208 Adventure and keep it on a trailer. I towed a 20 footer for years when my kids were small. I always liked having the boat in the driveway if I wanted to tinker with something. Then you don't feel too bad if it doesn't get used for a couple weeks.

Bill_N

Reaction score
Get a 208 Adventure and keep it on a trailer. I towed a 20 footer for years when my kids were small. I always liked having the boat in the driveway if I wanted to tinker with something. Then you don't feel too bad if it doesn't get used for a couple weeks.

billyttpd

Reaction score
I agree with Bill N. get the 208 and you can stay a Grady owner.

mboyatt

Reaction score
Where is fishinfinatic? Come on now, you can convince the Admiral to purchase a smaller grady. :bang Otherwise, just stop showering and the Admiral will come around.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
If he's not using his 265, he won't use a 208 either.

Do nothing for a year or two, stay boatless and watch how the kids and family needs evolve.

Then, you'll start itching for another boat and the time off will give you a much better perspective on what boat will work for you and the family.

mboyatt

Reaction score
I can't disagree with that. Sound advice. Time flies though. I sold my mako before my daughter was born. I did not get another boat for 7 years!!!! It got to where the wife knew I was obviously miserable. I wanted to replace the mako within a couple of years. However, with one, then two, then three little ones, no boat. I started getting testy and looking at boats when my daughter was 3. Ended up convincing my wife to allow the expense 4 years later. :jaw :dance I will Keep this grady until she falls apart at the seams!

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
There are many reasons why folks sell their boats and perhaps finances play a huge role in it and time. Time and money are in short supply with kids. Our boats have played a big role in our kids growing up. As soon as they could strap a life jacket on my kids have been around the water...or at about 3 months old either in kayak or on a boat. My time on the water with my kids is perhaps the best time I ever spend with them. We have explored and fished all over Florida and parts of the Carolinas. Weekends on the lake pulling a tube or simply finding a cove and jumping off the boat are unequaled. I would love to have a 265 for my family, but alas can not afford one at the moment. With that said we made a ton of family memories from night fishing in the Keys to exploring the TN River in our 228. My kids love the boat and going places. We loved our 192 too. A Grady is an awesome family boat, built rugged tough, sea worthy and dependable. If you want a great family ride consider the 225 or maybe even the 228.

Bama96

Reaction score
I understand completely. Sold my Marlin a few years back when my kids were born and bought a 225 Tournament. Take a look at a 225 with the full enclosure package. It truly is the SUV of boats. I fish offshore 20-25 miles in it in the am and cruise the bay in the afternoons with the wife/kids. It has a head compartment. We love ours and when I do upgrade it will be to a larger DC.

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words guys.

My son is 4 and my daughter is 2 and they have been on the boat since they were born.

We actually lived on it for one month when my wife was pregnant with my daughter.

While it is partialy driven by finances it is more by the fact I am not using it nearly as much as I should for the cost required to keep it, and the money spent could go to other things that would yield more family fun.

The boat will not support overnighters with my family of four. We tried a few times and it was a disaster.

We used to LOVE doing overnighters in previous years.

When we go down to the marina we dont even really go out of the boat, just fish of the docks or swim in the pool.

It is what it is, I will be buying a smaller boat so I can still get some fishing in, and maybe a camper!

Here are photos of the littles ones!

Little Becca w/ her first fish!

beccasfistfish_zps3a583552.jpg

Little Tony w/ a fun fish!

tonywfish_zps7dc0264e.jpg

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Cute pics. I know your daughter was proud of that fish, but I could not help but think that she caught some good bait to pull behind the boat (lol). We have a Rockwood Roo hybrid camper and enjoy it. You may or may not know we have a special needs son and he loves the outdoors, camping and the boat, especially the boat. He is mostly blind and walks with assistance. We can do short hikes here in the mountains with him, but our vacations largely revolve around water because it is something we can all do and enjoy as a family including Kyle.

There is little point taking a blind kid to the Grand Canyon so our trips often involve towing the camper and boat to the lake, river or coast. Camping is fun and cheap especially going to state parks, national forests and national park campgrounds. I admit though I chuckled some at over-nighting on the 265. Our maiden voyage on the 228 was a 4 day river cruise up the mighty St. Johns River in Florida from the Atlantic to Sanford. We are a family of 5 and made it work, then again my other 2 kids I take backpacking so they know how to pack light and sleep in small spaces. It worked 4 years ago because they were smaller. I dont think it would work now though. Either way I would have loved to had the space on the 265. You cant go wrong with a dual console Grady...keep that in your mind. Caught my first 40 plus pound dolphin in the Keys on my 192.