Grady 228 switches

EZ turner

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
when I sit behind the wheel on the Grady 228 and move around my right hip hits the switches and they go on without knowing what I did , any solutions or I am missing something.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
What switches are you referring to? The steering wheel protrudes the furthest, so I can't imagine how you would hit the dash before hitting the wheel? Do you have a pic?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Dennis, I understand what he's saying. Somewhere around '05-'06 Grady changed the switch location. My '04 is next to my right hip/leg while facing forward, the other pic is the '06 and it's further forward by right knee facing forward. Less of a chance to turn the switches on by accident.

20190505_190623.jpg7084642_0_160520191420_33.jpg

Reactions: EZ turner

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Ah, OK. Now I understand. I just couldn't imagine how switches on the dash, forward of the steering wheel (in the 'normal' place), where getting bumped. Thanks for the pic - that clears it up.

Gonna have to think 'bout it for bit... modding that plastic cubby to make switches flush, instead of angled... replacing with an older style cubby and relocating switches...

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Someone had posted a pic of their switches and it had a bar running across them, it would help some, but you could still bump the switches on. I looked back through old posts but couldn't find the pic.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I guess the other thing is that the boat might be new to you, EZ? In time, you'll get used to it and it will become second nature to check the switches.

You could make that bar big enough - or stick out far enough - to be effective, but then you'd be crashing into the bar all the time... eventually breaking it or the switch panel where it mounts.

Another solution would be to have a new panel made with flush, push-button switches. The buttons are, essentially, flush with the panel and you have to depress the center of the button with a finger.

EZ turner

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Yes it is new to me the boat is 2004 , I am trying to figure things out, I took it out last Saturday for fishing, I installed Simrad electronics also so the 3 times I have been out my mind is all over the place, and the pumps going on on there own , I am sure somehow my hip is hitting them. I looked at the seat carefully last night it is not close to the switches maybe my leg is hitting them . So far I love this boat best boat I ever had.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
EZ,,,,, trust me, you'll get use to it and it'll be second nature to check your switches. I have an '04 228 also and love my boat. I've done a bunch of work to it and been into almost everything on it, so if you ever have questions, feel free to ask. Post up some pics when you can, we all like to check out boat pics.

Here's mine.

20180129_120542.jpg

Reactions: EZ turner

EZ turner

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
For sure, I bought the boat in Tampa Bay had it shipped to San Jose CA , I have added Electronics Simrad which I am not too familiar with I always had Garmin, added a kicker motor, changed the corroded ball joint for the bilge pump not too fun but finally I did it. Thanks for the offer I will bug you guys.

Attachments

• photo_2019-06-06_08-59-04.jpg
    photo_2019-06-06_08-59-04.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: Ky Grady

EZ turner

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I forgot, added weights to the new aluminum trailer it was floating.

Reactions: handinpalm

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
For sure, I bought the boat in Tampa Bay had it shipped to San Jose CA , I have added Electronics Simrad which I am not too familiar with I always had Garmin, added a kicker motor, changed the corroded ball joint for the bilge pump not too fun but finally I did it. Thanks for the offer I will bug you guys.

Mine came out of Tampa also, from a member on here. Lives in Kentucky now. Makes an occasional trip back to the saltwater every now and then, primarily a freshwater boat now.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
My old 228 had the switches on the side, the new one is forward like the second pic KY put up. I never had any problem with either but I'm only 5'8" and 75 kg ( sorry about 165 lb, I keep forgetting you guys are still none metric.
KY your boat will be one of the cleanest 15 yo 228's around .

Reactions: Ky Grady

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My old 228 had the switches on the side, the new one is forward like the second pic KY put up. I never had any problem with either but I'm only 5'8" and 75 kg ( sorry about 165 lb, I keep forgetting you guys are still none metric.

Thanks hoon,,,I take pride in my ole girl. Labor of love and respect to bring her back to her glory. To own a Grady had been a dream of mine for years.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore

No, you're not. You could have just deleted the 75kg before you finished you're reply... but that's alright, a little sarcasm and humor is a good thing! :)

Reactions: wrxhoon

HMBJack

Reaction score
When I had my 228 (which I regret selling BTW), I had the same problem.

What I did was make little wedges out of that black foam material you see restaurants put on the floor in their kitchens - the anti-fatigue type foam. Anything will do. The stuff I used was like 3/8" thick.

So I would take a razor knife or scissors and cut a bunch of these 1/2" X 1" or so foam squares. Then I wedged them into the switch so I couldn't accidentally turn on the switch if I bumped it. If I WANTED to turn on that switch, I simply pulled out the wedge. Simple and cheap. And I knew for sure the switches with the little wedges inserted in them were NOT on unless I wanted them on. Got it?

EZ turner

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
When I had my 228 (which I regret selling BTW), I had the same problem.

What I did was make little wedges out of that black foam material you see restaurants put on the floor in their kitchens - the anti-fatigue type foam. Anything will do. The stuff I used was like 3/8" thick.

So I would take a razor knife or scissors and cut a bunch of these 1/2" X 1" or so foam squares. Then I wedged them into the switch so I couldn't accidentally turn on the switch if I bumped it. If I WANTED to turn on that switch, I simply pulled out the wedge. Simple and cheap. And I knew for sure the switches with the little wedges inserted in them were NOT on unless I wanted them on. Got it?
Very good solution , I bought a 3d printer several month ago I have made several parts, I will make a custom gard to go over the switches hopefully I will post pictures.