Grady Marlin 300 Headliner Cracks

Jumblejumlbe

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just bought a new to me 2005 Marlin 300. I uncovered her at the end of march to discover a couple of nasty cracks in the headliner. Aparently this isn't an unknown issue for Grady's and in the past they've covered the repair's even after warranty, but in this case, I spoke with the dealer and the manufacturer and while every one was very nice, no one is willing to help.

I can't find anyone local that even knows how to do the repair. It's plastic, not fiberglass, so it needs to be "welded" somehow. the dealer an my marina doesn't have the faintest idea how to do it.. I've reached out to a couple of auto body guys... still waiting to hear back from them.

I sent this in as an insurance claim with Seaworthy (geico). They denied the claim, saying that it's a manufacturers defect, not weather. Needless to say, I'll be canceling this policy by the end of the day. Be warned, there is no point in saving money on insurance if they won't stand behind you when you need them.

So my question is... has anyone had experience getting these cracks fixed outside of warranty, and if so what method was used and how did it come out?

Thanks

-J

Fishtales

Reaction score
In my book it is a manufacturer defect. This is a widely known issue that I've had on both my GW boats. Do a search here and you should find a lot written about it.

I'd talk to the dealer again and see if they are willing to go to bat for you with GW. If not, maybe it is time to find another place to work on your boat. I'd call this the perfect litmus test.

I'd also call GW Cust Service and nicely ask for this to be covered. Be armed with your facts and that many have been covered in the past. If not, you'll have to decide if you want to accept or take things to the next level. Most manufacturers don't want a bad reputation out there so hopefully they will help you out. If you want to go to the mat, then go to the mat.

As for the insurance co. I would not file a claim. Rates go up and after your deductible, there is little money here anyway. BTW, as stated, I believe they are correct. This is a defect.

If not, there are two ways to fix.
- Melt plastic into the crack. Many of the dealers have done this in the past with success. It might be worthwhile to talk to some glass guys and see what they recommend.
- Do a more permanent repair. It is essentially the above with some plastic filler and repaint. I understand this is the factory recommendation now. This was done on my current boat a few years ago.

The only good thing (if there is one) is that usually cracking appears the first few years as the headliner coefficient of expansion is different from the glass structure. Once this works itself out, USUALLY the repair is final as the point that was causing the issue either breaks free or the crack albeit corrected provides sufficient stress relief.

Good luck, stay calm and work the issue. You can always turn nasty as a last resort, but you really only get to play this card once - so wait until you exhaust all other means.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I would call GW direct. They are well aware and will cover the repair. I had mine fixed and it was fully covered.

Jumblejumlbe

Reaction score
I did call Grady, they were very nice, but were unwilling to fix the cracks. My Dealer did their best with them but it seems like Grady just isn't willing or able to take care of their customers like the used to. I supposed I could get more aggressive.. but life is really to short.

I really couldn't be more disappointed with Grady White. Grady's have earned a premium price and reputation based on their quality and support. This is a clear case of a flaw in their process and they won't help take care of it.

captain swag

Reaction score
I went through the same issue and the same results as you describe...REFUSED I am told that it is a welding process that Grady used that is like TIG but uses a rod made up of the same material that the headliner is composed of. Results were almost perfect when done by someone trained and experienced. There was a factory authorized place somewhere up north that did a lot of it.??? So much for repution, or at least maintaining a reputation. I have considered scuffing the area and then glassing with cloth, maybe epoxy resin and then painting??? I have several cracks so I would be painting the entire headliner. My major concern would be that the epoxy may not adhere over time to the plastic that the headliner is made of.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
My dGW dealer took care of the problem. I was still in warranty so it was covered. That was in 2008 and the repair has held. Even if not covered I can't see this being a break the bank repair.