Grady v Parker 23 ft

viperdrum

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Just got back from boat show and I am trying to rationalize paying a lot more for a Gulfstream than a 2310 Parker. Parker is more bare bones and has less beam, but it seems to be a darn nice boat. Is the Gulfstream worth the extra $$ and why? Thanks

grady23

Reaction score
It all depends on what YOU want. The Gulfstream has more finish and higher sides and a deep-V hull. The Parker has less finish and most likely a modified vs a Deep- V hull but is still a VERY nice boat. I personally like my Gulfstream but hold nothing against the Parker. I actually like the Parker 25XL. I only wish Parker offered a twin outboard setup mounted on a bracket. A friend switched his from a single 225 to twin 150's and the boat SCREAMS --- 55+ MPH.

Stonewall

Reaction score
Take a test ride in both on the same day in the same conditions, then make your decision. Make sure you have at least a 2' chop. Nothing against Parker, they make a fine boat and stand behind their product, but take the ride.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Depends if you are looking at Deep V or Modified V Parker. The Deep V models are more expensive, usually they bring the modified V boats to shows in my area, not sure what you looked at. The modified V if fine for small bays and rivers, but if you are going to encounter 3-4ft seas, you will encounter a very bumpy ride on the mod V parker. The deeper V parker hull is more comparable to the Gulfstream. The modified V hull is not comparable at all, it is ment for shallows and calm water. Make sure that the parker you got a price on is the model that will suit your needs best. I've been on both the modified and deep V parkers, there is a significant difference in ride when the seas kick up. Most parkers that are for sale used are mod V's because owner's were never informed of which would suit them better, instead the dealer just made a quick sale. Many guys I know who bought mod V parkers sold them and bought the deeper V version.

striped bass

Reaction score
You have a tough decision on this one. Both are good vessels. The Grady White Sea V2 hull is definitiely superior for New England waters so I agree with the foregoing comments. See my comments under your post "Took my wife to the boat show--it is getting more confusing". Also check out Tashmoo's posts since he just bought a GW 275.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
For purely esthetics, the Grady wins hands down.

I really liked the utility of the parker, they are a well designed and well built boat. With 25 years running boats I appreciated their well thought out layout and how functional they are. They appeal to the left side of my brain (is that the practical side?)

However, having studied marine design and built wooden boats, and owned a big-name vintage sailing yacht, and having the pleasure to see hundreds of finely-crafted vessels in classic boat shows in the NW, the appreciation for beautiful designs gets into your head. I just couldn't see myself sporting about in an ugly boat. It would wear on me and I would want to trade it off, always eyeing the prettier boats. As mentioned elsewhere, men are drawn to beautiful cars, boats, and women. My second wife is WAY prettier than my first - would never make that mistake again :oops:

Who said, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but ugly is to the bone"? :lol: :!: :mrgreen:

HMBJack

Reaction score
Man - you guys said it right. I agree with all of you. The Parker 23 with the bracket and F250 is a great choice. But I think it falls BETWEEN the bracketed Seafaraer 228G and the Gulfstream. In comparison, with a bracketed single engine, it's probably closer to the Seafarer than the Gulfstream. But let's face it, the Gradys ARE prettier and have a few more bells and whistles as standard equipment. And for boats in this price range, if you can afford them, why not get the prettier boat? Every time I see a Parker I say "Nice boat". Every time I see a Grady, I say "nice pretty boat".

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
One thing I hate about the Parkers is the gunnel height, it's too low.

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
Grog said:
One thing I hate about the Parkers is the gunnel height, it's too low.
I'm w/ you on the low gunnel... I just can't get comfortable with it..

hinmo

Reaction score
The only thing about Parkers I don't like is the wheelhouse seems to be more forward than other boats. 40 years on the water, and my aching back has tought me, that when steaming through 3 ft chop, the farther astern you are, the more comfortable the ride....hands down.

gw204

Reaction score
As stated, I think it fits right in between the 228 and 232. However, you can't really compare the three because they were designed for different audiences.

The Parker 2310 is built for one thing...fishing. That's why the helm is slid farther forward. It increases the amount of usable cockpit space. That being said, the cabin is still HUGE for a 23' boat. It is also not a true walkaround, but more of an express is you ask me. There are no recessed walkways which translate to more room at the helm and in the cabin. All new 2310s have a 21 degree hull and you can get them with a transom mounted OB or a bracketed OB. The upgrade from a F225 to an F250 will run you about $900 and is worth it according to the dealer I spoke to.

23', 8'6" beam, 4288 lb. dry weight. That's almost the same weight as a Grady 232S in a smaller package.

I think a 2310 probably does rides better than a 228 and nearly as well as a , but you will not feel that way because the helm is farther forward.

The Gradys incorporate more creature comforts because the target buyer is the family fisherman. So, you get styling and creature comforts that are a bit more appealing to buyers looking to please wives and kids. In my opinion, if Grady redesigned both the 228 and 232 to be more like the Parker (ditch the recessed walkway) they would be much better boats. I doubt you would lose any safety during bow access becuase the walkway would be wider. The cabin size could be increased as well, but you would still lack the cockpit space that the Parker has.

Different strokes for different folks. If I wanted styling, I'de go for the Grady. But if I wanted fishability and build quality, Parker wins hands down in my book.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I've been on the 23 Parker walk around too, nice, solid just like their pilots, overbuilt comes to mind.

The gunnel height comparison effects the taller of us, as it would me at 6ft, 1. The shorter folks may not even notice it.

The 25 Parker Pilot is noticably different in gunnel height over my 25 Sail, the Sail gunnel is exactly where I want it, my hat is off to Neese.

bulldog2

Reaction score
I like the Parker boats as I spent alot of time on a tricked out 98 pilot house and some time on a smaller walkaround.The fact that you do your own custom work on these boats is great but with the Grady its all there.The overbuilt gets way overdone on these boats because if you spend enough time on them you find there quirks for Example on the 25 Pilot theres a plastic pie plate when you step out of the cabin,Well water puddles up there and from stepping on the plate stress cracks form which when that puddle freezes the ice penetrates into the comprimised core.On both models I was on rust stains were on the interior carpet from the inferior stainless used on the hull to deck hardware which was through bolted a good thing.Leaking windows,Surface rust on bow rail,lack of storage on walkaround,and if you want an loder one to redo beware of pre92 because the underside of the floor is not glassed-Bare wood.Great functional boats and I like em boat they kind of get this free ride cause there priced below Pursuit/Grady.Good luck-Pat L

jimmy's marine service

Reaction score
jehines3 said:
The hull flexing like mad scared me away....jh

parker hull flexing ????

i picked up a 2005 2120 parker that fell off the trailer on the gs parkway,the boat slid down the road at 65mph...the damage it had was minimal,for what it went through....those things are built like tanks...the hull is in the ball park of 1" thick,and that's NOT at the keel...i know this,the sea water wasdown pick up was shoved through the bottom of the boat,i had to rebuild that area...the parkers are built like a brick $hit house,that my friend is a fact...the newer deep v parkers,these are supposed to ride much better than the old school modified v parkers...one thing i know,is the old modified v parkers will beat the hell outta you,just like a 20'-24' g/w,if you can live with that ride,then have at it...but,make the construction of a parker no question,these boats are built right,g/w should take a lesson from parker in a few areas...sorry guys...

another gentleman,bulldog,brings up the unprotected wood thing...well...did you ever look in the bilge of a g/w ??? look close...the wood is not protected by any stretch of the imagination...the garboard plug runs throught the transom core-not protected...take a look at a parker,the core of the transom,it actually goes"around" where the garboard plug is...nice feature...i can honestly tell you,i believe the parkers are one of the best built boats on the market...

bulldog2

Reaction score
Jawz,10-4 on the unprotected wood subject,I wasnt saying Grady doesnt have there issues we all know they do.I was merely saying that just about every production boat will have its quirks &the few I brought up about Parker are completly true.I dont want too come off as a hater of Parker because thats not the case but the truth is the truth.

Ted R

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Parker versus Grady

Sorry to ground you to reality but the 232 is by far in any measure that you can come up a far superior craft. If you can afford the best buy it, otherwise rationalize to yourself why you want something less than a Grady. I fish with a 232 on Lake Erie and it is by far the best. More function, layout and ease of use than any other craft available.

Capt Armchair

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
jimmy's marine service said:
jehines3 said:
The hull flexing like mad scared me away....jh

parker hull flexing ????

i picked up a 2005 2120 parker that fell off the trailer on the gs parkway,the boat slid down the road at 65mph...the damage it had was minimal,for what it went through....those things are built like tanks...

Jimmy I am sure your probably right but this is interesting as I have been hearing the exact opposite from a guy who owns a mid 2000's Parker. (at least his take on it!)

Not sure the year or the exact deadrise etc difference but a guy a few slips down from me cannot wait to trade-in his 21' Parker he said it rides like crap and pounds the crap out of him, he said in real rough stuff the boat does really wierd stuff. This is a guy who traded down from a GW Sailfish.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Sounds like he might have a modified v parker. I know a ton of guys up my way with parkers and have fished them too many times to count. The deep v boats ride fairly well, but the modified v boats will kill you in anything but flat calm. It always seemed like the deep v boats were beefed up more. Also, the newer deep v 25 had a higher gunwale height and feels a bit more solid. I have never been on a parker that felt like it flexed or anything, but maybe it pounded a bit more and rattled your teeth out in a chop on a mod v version. Also, having the pilot house forward on a parker will increase what you feel. The only fair way to compare the boats would be to compare them in the cockpit, but that is not where you operate from in reality.