Grady-White Closing

Pete Good

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 185
I heard Grrady is closing down the Freedom 192 line at the end of the year and their smallest dual console will be the Freedom 215. Has anyone heard anything about that?
Thanks,
Pete

seasick

Reaction score
I haven't heard but would not be surprised at all.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
As Smoky said, it went away and came back. I would be surprised if they discontinued it again.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
The 190/191/192 all have been in Grady's fleet for a long long time. The margin in a 192 is not as great as a bigger boat that's for sure. They make a ton of money selling just one Canyon 456 versus selling a 192. However, they will sell more 192s I would imagine than their flagship Canyon .

The 192 is a sweet spot boat for them I would think. It's a big 19 footer, plenty of room and is under $100k. They need that kind of market I would imagine.

I recall when the 330 came out. It was their biggest boat yet. Now it's a mid size Grady . Lol. Grady built their brand on boats between 19 and 23 feet in the 80s . It's their bread and butter. There us a reason the 208,228, 238 are still built. People want them even after 30 years of production.

Pete Good

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 185
The 190/191/192 all have been in Grady's fleet for a long long time. The margin in a 192 is not as great as a bigger boat that's for sure. They make a ton of money selling just one Canyon 456 versus selling a 192. However, they will sell more 192s I would imagine than their flagship Canyon .

The 192 is a sweet spot boat for them I would think. It's a big 19 footer, plenty of room and is under $100k. They need that kind of market I would imagine.

I recall when the 330 came out. It was their biggest boat yet. Now it's a mid size Grady . Lol. Grady built their brand on boats between 19 and 23 feet in the 80s . It's their bread and butter. There us a reason the 208,228, 238 are still built. People want them even after 30 years of production.
Thanks!

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter

The 192 is a sweet spot boat for them I would think. It's a big 19 footer, plenty of room and is under $100k. They need that kind of market I would imagine. .
Thats pretty expensive for a 19’ bowrider. Granted its a very well designed, very well built boat that is far superior to comparable 19’ers from other makers.
The problem is that a trailerable 19’ boat is pretty much an entry level target boat. The first time folks that are out boat shopping aren’t hardcore and are primarily looking for fun on the water with their families in nice days. They don’t need a battleship.
When they can get a Bayliner for about 1/3 the price how can Grady survive in that market?
I’d bet those that had several boats already know what size they like are the ones who are ready to shell out the added cash for a Grady but that number would be lower for a 19’ boat. Most would be giving in to their “two footitis” and would be stepping up to a bigger boat.

Pete Good

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 185
Thanks, hopefully someone that knows someone at the factory sees this and will let us know if the 192 Freedom is history.

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hopefully not, every builder needs entry level boats.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Hopefully not, every builder needs entry level boats.
This is very true but at entry level prices. If Grady made those compromises to reduce the price it wouldn’t be a true Grady.
I’d think the ideal entry level 19’ Grady would have to be one bought used that had been well cared for. Someone would have to take that initial hit.

Fishtales

Reaction score
True, but never give the customer a reason to buy the competition....

Last edited:

CJ7Rob

Reaction score
When I was first looking at boats and talked to an experienced fisherman, he said "don't get anything in the teens, you'll regret it". You can basically outgrow these smaller boats

Hutchy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks, hopefully someone that knows someone at the factory sees this and will let us know if the 192 Freedom is history.

The Freedom 192 is no longer available from Grady White.

MashpeeMan

Reaction score
Bummer. The 192 does everything that I need and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. I don't consider it to be an "entry" level boat (as I've been boating for many decades and have owned a number of different boats over the years). I just don't need a bigger boat and I like to have something manageable for trailering, easy to dock, and solid enough to give me confidence when I'm out on Nantucket Sound and the weather kicks up.

Hutchy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bummer. The 192 does everything that I need and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. I don't consider it to be an "entry" level boat (as I've been boating for many decades and have owned a number of different boats over the years). I just don't need a bigger boat and I like to have something manageable for trailering, easy to dock, and solid enough to give me confidence when I'm out on Nantucket Sound and the weather kicks up.

I would imagine the used market could fill that void, as it seem to be a boat that as stated above is likely to be sold for something larger more frequently than other models.

I wouldn't consider it entry level at all either, simply a smaller packaged Grady for those like yourself who simply don't need a larger boat.

Reactions: MashpeeMan